1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Guess I'll have to chime in on this one. Paul Terry's studios produced The Mighty Heroes animated television series that were created and directed by Ralph Bakshi. The five wonderballs are Strong Man, whose day job is an auto mechanic; Cuckoo Man, who works in a clock shop, unsurprisingly; Tornado Man, who works as a television weather reporter; Rope Man, whose uniform suggests that he's a Navy man, yeoman class or lower; and Diaper Man, an unusually deft and articulate infant.

In this case, it's Tornado Man that gets the focus here, looking somewhat like Cosmo Spacely in poorly tailored spandex.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Absolutely right, OUB. Good job. :). All yours now.
  3. oneuglybunny

Thanks. :) Well, here's an odd duck that has appeared in a feature film, as well as animated series.

1a) This character began a long time ago, and made his debut in a hand-drawn animated series.

1b) He then continued his villainy in a digital graphics series, and appeared in a live-action feature film.

2) By villainy, I mean this character is a Bad Guy. Not the baddest baddie of the bunch, but definitely extra very scary bad.

3) This character is not human, and never was. Too many arms and fox-like eyes preclude being human.
  4. oneuglybunny

Intermediate clues time.

4) Much of this character's outfit is armor. Understandable, since he does oodles of fighting battles.

5) The hand-drawn animator of this character is Genndy Tartakovsky. while the director for the digital version is Dave Filoni.

6) This character at times has a nasty cough. It's not from smoking.
  5. oneuglybunny

Cupcake clues time.

7) This character fights Jedi Knights. He'll attack Republic troops, too, but they're badly outclassed.

8) Short of Commander-In-Chief, this character holds the highest Army rank possible.

9) His name is a homonym for a kind of wound that's both painful and debilitating.
  6. emeraldisle

Aha! It's General Grievous! Should have known from the get go.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. oneuglybunny

Yes, it's the bane of Republic forces everywhere: General Grievous, first from Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series from Warner Brothers, then in Filoni's The Clone Wars from Lucasfilm Limited. Then, he makes his big screen debut in Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith. He of tall stature and short temper. Good answer, Em. :)
  8. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now I've got one that's gone 100% untapped until now:

1. I had ten years worth of theatrical cartoons.

2. Like all little boys, I'm accompanied by a pet dog. Not to mention a kid brother.

3. Speaking of dogs, I sort of share my name with an infamous Great Dane puppy.
  9. emeraldisle

Last three clues:

4. I starred in 83 shorts grand total.

5. My creator died two years before my series ended.

6. My animation studio is named after a feline who keeps getting hit with bricks.
  10. emeraldisle

Well, looks like I'll have to provide the answer. It's Scrappy, a long forgotten character. Now to explain the clues:

1. His shorts were produced from 1931-1941.

2. He was accompanied by his kid brother Oopy and pet dog Yippy.

3. He shares his name with Scrappy Doo.

4. There were 83 shorts in ten years.

5. Charles Mintz died in 1939, two years before the series ended.

6. The cartoons were produced by Krazy Kat Studios, a Columbia Pictures subsidiary.

I'll post a much easier character later today.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. oneuglybunny

Surprise, this is all news to me. I know Mintz lured away Ub Iwerks from Walt Disney, and took Oswald the Lucky Rabbit with him, but this Scrappy must've been an original creation. Any idea if Iwerks created him, or was Scrappy another animator's brainchild?
  12. emeraldisle

Read my explanation of Clue 5, please.
  13. emeraldisle

And now, allow me to introduce the much easier character:

1. I'm the youngest in a blue community.

2. I was born, or should I say, delivered 35 years ago, but at first, had to be returned.

3. Ironically, the one who loves me the most is the one who usually hates everything.
  14. emeraldisle

I thought these clues would be easy as pie. Apparently not, so here are three more:

4. Like Jack-Jack from the Incredibles movies, I have powers of my own, except that mine are magical.

5. My arrival occurs only once in a blue moon, except for the female inhabitants, who were created from blue clay.

6. My first word is the name of my most evil adversary.
  15. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I'm not letting this one go down the drain. Knew it from the get go too. It's Baby Smurf from the Smurfs.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. emeraldisle

Right, Glowworm. You nailed it. Good job. :). You may go again.
  17. Glowworm

Very well, pardon me for not playing the game as much as I used to--sometimes I just don't have a character right on hand to supply. I think I have one now.
    1. I am the male counterpart to the main female character of this 80s tv series which originated like most shows during this era as a toyline.
    2. I am a dog with a noble name--but actually am a cursed nobleman.
    3. While in the show my true identity is never revealed to the title character, my curse is eventually broken on the German audiotapes and I get to marry my true love and have a daughter together.
  18. Glowworm

More clues.
    4. Unlike most enchanted noblemen in the forms of animals, I cannot talk in my dog form, only bark.
    5. I am watched over by a kindly blind magician.
    6. While my love interest isn't Rapunzel and her adversary isn't Mother Gothel, her adversary is always attempting to cut my love interest's magical golden hair with a pair of scissors so that she can have her power and rule the kingdom.
  19. emeraldisle

I found it! It's Prince Strongheart, from "Lady Lovelylocks."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Glowworm

Indeed. It's Prince Strongheart from Lady Lovelylocks. For reasons that may never have been fully explained--although there are ones in the comics and audiotapes, etc. he is cursed to be a dog--although he is a human when he is within the crystal that he and Shining Glory the magician occasionally reside in. He can also become human during a full or blue moon and a few other loopholes--but Lady has never fully seen his true form in the show--nor does she know him as anything more than her faithful dog friend.
    • Useful Useful x 1