1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Still don't have it. Maybe someone who hasn't had a turn yet this year will figure it out.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Oh, this must be King Neptune from "Neptune Nonsense" by Otto Mesmer for Pat Sullivan studios. His Majesty likely appears in another Felix The Cat cartoon, though I can't name to precise one at the moment.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That's right, it's King Neptune (but not just from Neptune Nonsense). The other short was Disney's King Neptune where he fights the pirates. In those shorts he had legs. However, in the Spongebob episodes and the Spongebob movie, he was portrayed as a merman.

I shall reward you with a "winner" medal and control of the board.
  4. oneuglybunny

Ooh, nice, a good start to 2015. Now to think of a worthwhile character that I can query ... aha, here's something:

1) This character has appeared only once to date in Blended Medium film; that is, live actors alongside animated characters.

2) Right off the bat, this character isn't human. And a foreigner, not American. And female.

3) This character is the squad leader of a team of foreign agents assigned to recover a fugitive alive and intact, with "zero footprint;" that is, accomplish this repatriation with no traces of their activities. [batman]
  5. emeraldisle

I'm afraid I'm clueless about her. This may be one that I've never seen.
  6. emeraldisle

I checked all the live action/animated films, and none of them seem to have characters that match the clues.
  7. saltyboot

I can't figure this one out. I'll wait for the next set of clues.
  8. oneuglybunny

How 'bout that? No takers. Well, I must remedy this deficiency forthwith.

4) One would think that, since this is a female character, she'd be properly clothed for traveling abroad. Nope; nary a stitch on her. She does have a nice hat, though.

5) This character says not one word. Unless one counts the kia she makes while delivering a takedown kick. Otherwise, she's as silent as a ninja, using precision gestures to coordinate with her teammates.

6) Together with two other secret agents, this character creates an homage to Charlie's Angels. It's the shadow of this pose that alerts the main character that he's mere moments away from getting sacked. Red alert, shields up, get cookin'.
  9. emeraldisle

Hate to say it, but I'm still baffled. I'll have to look this one up.
  10. saltyboot

Same here. I need to go through the movies.
  11. oneuglybunny

It's tempting to call this one a stumper, but I've already got mine in, so three final clues comin' atcha:

7) There is one live action, human main character, and one animated, nonhuman main character. Both are seriously flawed, and scored poorly with audiences. In contrast, this character was well received, and in effect, stole the show. Something like the Minion effect.

8) This character makes one huge mistake, falling for a ruse that anyone else would have recognized immediately. To be fair, though, since this character is a vegan, she'd be unlikely to be familiar with cooked meat dishes.

9) It would be very easy to underestimate this character. Even her name connotes being docile and harmless. Wrong. Two adult humans and two guard dogs fell before her might. She is clearly very good at this secret agent stuff.
  12. emeraldisle

Still don't have a clue. Hopefully, someone else will have the answer. Besides, I don't feel like playing right now.
  13. oneuglybunny

Wadaya noe? Blanked 'em. Okay, answer time: her name is Fluffy, squad leader of the Pink Berets from Universal Pictures' Hop.

1) So far, only appears in Hop, from Illumination Entertainment, alongside Jason Marsden among others, from Universal.

2) She's a bunny from Easter Island, which is not a US territory. Which makes her a foreigner. Not that she uses a passport.

3) The Pink Berets are lapine commandos, an elite strike team deployed in an emergency when Easter or Easter Bunny operations are in jeopardy. They're well-trained and impressively efficient.

4) Fluffy wears only a utility belt that carries a GPS locator and a blowgun. Probably some rappel line and extra darts, too. Oh, and her nice pink beret, worn with distinction. Of course, she's head to toe fur, so there's nothing above G-rated to see.

5) The only sound out of Fluffy comes when she takes out the surveillance camera at the Playboy mansion. Otherwise, she's all silent signals to the other two operatives: Patch and Bit.

6) While scoping out the mansion where the fugitive E.B. is staying, they strike a pose on the rooftop that casts a morning shadow into the living room that mimics the signature logo of Charlie's Angels: one facing left, one facing right, and one in the middle, standing tall and coordinating things. E.B. gets one eyeful of this shadow, and knows that he's about to be captured and hauled back to Easter Island. This triggers him to put together the boiled turkey ruse.

7) Fred O'Hare is a goofball slacker whose regarded as a "black sheep" in the family, and is sent packing to compel him to become solvent. E.B. abandons his birthright to become the next Easter Bunny, instead fleeing to Los Angeles to break into the music biz as a drummer. Renegades and slackers generally aren't sympathetic characters, so audiences really didn't warm to them or their movie much. The Pink Berets, however, as a team of Action Bunnies, struck a chord, and reviews often cite that they "stole the show."

8) Fluffy is the one who finds the frozen turkey dressed in a flannel shirt boiling away in a stew pot, and mistakes this for the remains of E.B. Of course, rabbits normally eat only greens and the occasional carrot, so Fluffy might never have seen a plucked turkey before, and thus fooled by the shirt into thinking this was a mutilated rabbit corpse. Patch and Bit are likewise fooled.

9) Upon arriving near the iconic "Hollywood" sign, a patrolman hears them hopping about and moves to investigate. One blowgun dart to the neck drops him on the spot. Same goes for the two guard dogs at the mansion. And for Fred O'Hare. They may be cute little bunnies, but they are definitely not defenseless.
    [​IMG]
    So, no love for poor little Fluffy. *sigh* Then I shall pass control of the board to somebody. Anybody. Ideally IronCookuru, one of only three participants who have correctly identified more Mystery Characters than they have queried (120 a'd to 96 q'd). Anybody but bad-clue-givin' me.
  14. emeraldisle

Your clues aren't bad, OUB. It's just that I, for one, never saw "Hop." Incidentally, I, too, can't post any new characters at this time. Unfortunately, I just lost my brother, and won't be able to play again until after I return from the funeral in Atlanta.
  15. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yeah, I kind of forgot about these little guys--then again, this movie wasn't something I really wanted to see, and I mostly remembered from the previews EB, his father and that rather creepy chick.
  16. saltyboot

First off, sorry to hear about your brother emeraldisle. My condolences.

Secondly, I haven't seen Hop either. I've been able to successfully guess characters from movies/shows I have never seen before. However, I never got that "Ah ha!" moment with these particular clues. But that's just me.
  17. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

So sorry to hear of your loss, emeraldisle - I too offer my condolences.

A worthy stumper, OUB - your clues were great, but I just couldn't find the character. (I never saw the film either.)
    I went through a few lists of animation/live-action movies, but failed to notice Hop! (It doesn't appear on many!)
  18. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Say, have you a new character to post? You're overdue for one this year.
  19. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I'll throw this one in, to get the game going again...

1) My code name refers to my dimensions.
    2) At first I am horrified by my new companions.
    3) The movie's villain returns me to normal - but I sacrifice that normality to save my friends.
  20. emeraldisle

Once again, I'll leave it up to someone else to figure out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.