1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Don't know this one. Best for someone who hasn't had a turn for quite a while to figure it out.
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I know this one, but I'll wait a bit to see if someone else knows.
  3. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Beats the heck outta me! I think I need more clues.
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Can only be the Myna Bird from the Inki cartoons!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yes, although believe it or not, it's spelled as "Minah" in regards to one particular short "Inki and the Minah Bird."
    1. The Minah Bird hops in time to Felix Mendelssohn's Fingal's Cave Overture. To this day, I cannot hear this piece without picturing a sauntering little black bird going by.
    2. The Minah Bird has bizarre surreal powers--anything that's considered impossible is no challenge to him.
    3. I always got a kick out of the openings of most of the shorts, a bunch of animals are cowering in fear--or the bushes suddenly shake and growl--and suddenly, this small, quiet looking bird hops out. However, the Minah Bird has every right to be feared--he can easily beat up lions and in "Caveman Inki," a dinosaur.
  6. peterhale

I should have checked the spelling - I felt it wasn't quite right when I wrote it!

Here's my next character...
    1) I'm the animated star of an otherwise live-action movie.
    2) Although I'm the title character I'm largely unseen - originally I was only going to be animated in one sequence, but my appearances were expanded during production.
    3) I may be clumsy (and potentially dangerous!) but I'm just there to help children in need.
  7. emeraldisle

Sorry,, Pete. I'm stumped again. But the others probably have a clue.
  8. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Hmm, drat. There is one character that almost fits the clues, being a cartoon character in the Real World, but the one I'm thinking about is malicious, not helpful. So, a nice 'toon that tries to be helpful, hindered by oopsies. I'll have to cogitate on this one.

Edit: Wait a sec: methinks this is Detective Whiskers the cat from Last Action Hero, amirite?
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  9. peterhale

Alas, no! Not Detective Whiskers.
    A few more clues should do it...

4) I help the live-action protagonist escape, but my subsequent antics get him a bad name.
    5) I light the lamp.
    6) I am due for a CGI reboot next year.
  10. emeraldisle

I'll bet I have the answer now. It's the Glow-worm from "James And The Giant Peach."
  11. peterhale

No, not the Glowworm. She certainly fits clue 5, but not the earlier ones.
  12. emeraldisle

Found it at last. It's Elliott the Dragon, from Pete's Dragon.
  13. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Of course--I had a feeling it could be him--although ironically I think I had the film on VHS, I never actually watched it--although I have seen a very small bit of it as a child at a summer camp. Also, I had a bunch of record player books--most based off Disney movies and that one was one of them.
  14. peterhale

You got it, Emeraldisle!
    It is Elliott, from Disney's 1977 film Pete's Dragon.

1) Self-evident.

2) Conceived as a live-action film, it was originally intended that Elliott would be a permanently invisible dragon. In development they decided he should become visible at the end of the film, and Don Bluth was given the job of directing the animation. The animation department started lobbying for more shots of Elliott to be included, and as the producers liked the initial animation, more scenes with Elliott were added during production. The story goes that the footage ended up twice the original amount (1800 feet from a proposed 900), but the budget, originally set at $1.8 million, was never increased and Bluth got told off for going $75,000 over budget. The team had worked overtime to get the extra scenes in on time, but were given time off in lieu of overtime payment - it added up to six weeks, time which they used to make Banjo the Woodpile Cat.

3) At the end of the film, with Pete happily settled in Passamaquoddy Elliott explains he must leave to find another child to help.

4) When they first arrive in Passamaquoddy Pete is labelled a jinx because of the invisible Elliott's clumsiness.

5) When the storm puts out the lighthouse lamp, Elliott reignites it.

6) Disney's remake is due out in the summer of 2016.

Your point, and your turn, Em!
  15. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now here's one that I've put off for about a year:

1. Like another religious-themed character, I have a pet dog.

2. In my Easter special, my pooch is dognapped by a young bully, but I get him back just in time for the holiday.

3. As a result of this experience, I create a prize-winning poster devoted to the Resurrection.

BTW, just a little reminder that I'll be absent from the game on Thursday and Friday this week.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  16. emeraldisle

Well, here are the last three clues:

4. I also star in specials about Christmas and The Fourth Of July.

5. My dog shares his name with a rather hard to find boy.

6. And I have the same name as a movie dog who began his career on "Petticoat Junction."
  17. FluidGirl

OK, this is the only thing I managed to find, because Google wasn't much of a help, but it took me to YouTube. According to the video I found on YouTube, and the clues, this is a character named Benji (clue 6) from a cartoon titled "Easter Is." According to the description on the YouTube video, the uploader described it as "Another Benji and Waldo story." This is the only thing I've got, since I've never actually seen this before.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. emeraldisle

Well, you got it right, Fluidgirl. Benji it is indeed. May the Easter Bunny bring you a big basket of goodies. Now to explain the clues:

1. Benjy had a pet dog, just like Davey Hanson had Goliath.

2. Waldo ran off, and was dognapped by a bully who, being Benjy's age, demanded only a five dollar ransom.

3. After the experience, plus a brief lecture about Easter from his dad, Benjy made a poster about the Resurrection, and even put himself and Waldo on it.

4. Benji and Waldo also appeared in "Christmas Is," and "Freedom Is."

5. Waldo shares his name with the boy from the"Where's Waldo?" books, and long-forgotten animated series.

6. Finally, Benji has the same name as the dog who was first seen on "Petticoat Junction," and went on to star in a series of movies and TV shows.

Good job, Fluidgirl. :)
  19. FluidGirl

Thank you. Now here's a character, courtesy of mein sister. Or at least from a DVD set mein sister bought recently (this isn't her favorite character from the show, by the way)

1. I started life as a greeting card character

2. You can sometimes tell what my friends and I are thinking, just by looking at our fronts.

3. I talk like a famous actor, so I was named after his nickname.
  20. emeraldisle

I do know this one, but let's see if someone else gets it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.