1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yes, OUB, you got it right, and for all the reasons you stated. Plus, her closest friends who were neither human nor cat were Roquefort the mouse, and Frou-Frou the mare. Good job. :)
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Thank you for the cupcake, EI. Hopefully, my Mystery Character is easy enough to identify in three clues, but takes a smidgen of thinking.

1) This character has appeared only once so far in an animated feature film. He survives to the ending, so there's some chance he'll recur.

2) By profession, this character should be a Good Guy: peace, order, justice, all that good stuff. However, this character is the principal servant of the film's Supreme Baddie. He's a lot like Darth Vader to Emperor Palpatine: it's that kind of mechanic.

3) The simile is especially apt, in that this character is tough on ordinary citizens, rough on criminals and renegades, outright dangerous to his own underlings, and positively nucular on the furniture. (Yes, I know the word is spelled "nuclear." It's a deliberate misspelling to convey a comic mechanism.)
  3. emeraldisle

You're welcome, but I'm stumped on this guy. I'll step aside for someone else.
  4. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Sorry, but I'm going to need more clues. I have a thought but I'm really not sure.
  5. oneuglybunny

More clues? Really? Okay, coming up.

4) This character has a split personality, by design. Though mostly ruthless and unyielding, he can display a decent, amenable side at times.

5) As tough and nasty and vicious as he gets, it pales in comparison with his boss. This character completes everything on his boss's checklist, and is told, "Good job." And then gets notice that he's just as expendable as everyone else.

6) Oh, and one more Star Wars reference: though this character functions a lot like Darth Vader, his voice is provided by a Jedi knight.

Now solve this one. :mad:
  6. emeraldisle

Well, I checked the Mark Hamil filmography, and though I couldn't find one to match the clues, I believe I'm on the right track.
  7. oneuglybunny

Oh dear, here I thought I'd be awarding you your 300th Correct Response, but no. Sorry, Em, but Mark Hamill / Luke Skywalker is the wrong Jedi. I know Mark voices an excellent Joker in the Batman universe, however that line of thinking leads to a dead end. Switch tracks. ;)
  8. emeraldisle

Well, surprise, surprise, I played another hunch, and came up with the right answer. It's Good Cop/ Bad Cop from "The Lego Movie."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. oneuglybunny

Hooray, that's right. EmeraldIsle reaches the 300 Mark of Correct Responses! Woo-hoo! A little expounding on some of the clues: he's a police officer for Bricksburg, but his methods and conduct should get him stripped of badge and gun. His superior, Lord Business, is even more evil, so Bad Cop's methodology gets a pass. Bad Cop has no qualms about shooting at renegades, nor at hurting innocent civilains. He abuses his robot underlings badly, and has a penchant for kicking chairs in frustration. His voice, in all its forms: Bad Cop, Good Cop, Mummy Cop, Daddy Cop, are all furnished by Liam Neeson, who played Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn.

That's your 300th +1, EI. Receive our accolades and take control of the board. :D
  10. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Didn't expect to have another turn so soon, but here I go.

1. I'm the only team player who isn't a mythical character.

2. I join forces with a king's magician, a brave seafarer, a mythical strongman, and an Egyptian Goddess who started out as a live action heroine.

3. in my warrior mode, I'm able to fly.
  11. emeraldisle

Ok, three more clues are obviously needed:

4. My segment is from a show that also includes cartoons about a legendary jungle man, a pair of sea protectors, an unusual married couple, a woman who derives her powers from insects, and a live action sci-fi adventure.

5. In civilian mode, I'm just a plain old martial artist.

6. I am not to be confused with a similar character created by a rival studio around the same time.
  12. oneuglybunny

Aha, it took a little digging, but The Freedom Force came up, and this Filmation series is one I saw as a little squeaker. The magician is Merlin, the seafarer is Sinbad, the strongman is Hercules, and the goddess is Isis. The character in question is Super Samurai, replete with armor and mask.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. emeraldisle

Absolutely, right, OUB. You get another point, and another cupcake. Since you already explained one set of clues, Ill explain the others:

1. Super Samurai wasn't a mythical character like the others.

3. In Samurai mode, he can fly easily.

4. "Tarzan And The Super Seven" consisted of "Tarzan: Lord Of The Jungle," "The Freedom Force," "Manta And Moray," "Super Stretch And Micro Woman," "Web Woman," and the live action series "Jason Of Star Command."

5. As Toshi, a young boy, he was a highly skilled martial artist.

6. The series premiered a year after "The All-New Superfriends Hour," whose new roster included Samurai. This one was nothing like the one from the Filmation series.

Good job, once again. :)
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. oneuglybunny

Good of you to tap a virgin vein for a character. I'll have to see if there's a cartoon no one's mined for nuggets yet. Let me get some moving done, and I'll be back with a character. :)
  15. emeraldisle

Sure thing. Can't wait to see what it turns out to be.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. oneuglybunny

Well, this isn't quite unused territory, however one source that's unused so far is one that I haven't seen in a while, so I'll have to rewatch it some time. For now, I'll salute EmeraldIsle with a charming female character, and a prominent one to boot.

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film. Since she survives to the end of the film, there's a possibility that she'll recur somewhere in the future.

2) This character is female, and curious, and full of questions. And willful, just like her father. No surprise that father and daughter come to loggerheads at one point in the film.

3) At the time of the film's events, there's a party going on, because it's this character's birthday. Awesome, girl; here's wishing you many more. :)
  17. emeraldisle

Don't know this one , to be honest. Someone else should step up to the plate this time.
  18. saltyboot

Is this Mavis from Hotel Transylvania?

The movie takes place on her 118th birthday. She is also curious about the human world (which her father doesn't want her to be a part of).
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. oneuglybunny

Absolutely, this is Mavis Dracula from the film directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, and for all the specifics that you cited. Bravo, Saltyboot: take another shiny +1, and control of the board. :)
  20. saltyboot

Thanks, I shall now insert the +1 into my pocket and post my next character.

I appeared once in a short.
    At first I am alone. Then my roommate appears.
    I'm for living in the moment, but my roommate is more level headed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.