1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I need my thinking cap for this one. But from the clues, I've already ruled out one possibility.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, instead of ruling out possibilities, I'll give some clues that point to this character pretty squarely.

7) 1998

8) ACME products

9) Balki, repurposed

"I'll tell you once more / Before I get off the floor / Don't bring me down."
  3. emeraldisle

I checked all the feature films of 1998, and there didn't seem to be any that matched the clues.
  4. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This is the Griffon from Quest for Camelot--I had a feeling it was a character from there--but wasn't entirely sure which one.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. oneuglybunny

Ah, wonderful Glowworm, if I could give you extra, I would. Yes, this is the Griffon (or gryphon) from Warner Brothers Feature Animation's Quest For Camelot. 1) His sole appearance to date. Devon and Cornwall give him a dandy comeuppance. 2) The Griffon snags the sword Excalibur from King Arthur despite eleven knights in the same room. 3) Griffon loses Excalibur when he gets dope-slapped by Ayden. It falls into an enchanted forest where the Griffon cannot retrieve it. Ruber mocks him for that.

4) A gryphon is half eagle, half lion, 0% human, though he speaks English just fine. 5) That'd be Ruber, the knight-turned-villain. Griffon seems to be Ruber's chief minion. 6) The rest of the war party are leering, shambling mooks. Comedian Bronson Pinchot provides the Griffon's voice.

7) Quest For Camelot, Friday 15 May 1998. 8) The eerie potion Ruber uses to transform his mooks into walking weapons comes in a vial labeled "ACME." 9) Bronson Pinchot is likely best known for playing Balki Bartokomous from the television series Perfect Strangers.

Adding another fine +1 to Glowworm's growing total, and giving her control of the Board. Plus added thanks for not sandbagging me with another unguessed dud. :)
  6. Glowworm

Yeah, I kind of forgot about the Griffin-- but the Acme potion clue is a dandy.
    I've been put on the spot again.
    1. There are three of us.
    2. We are a fairly low form of animal life.
    3. We want to be criminals, but we aren't very good ones--or taken very seriously.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. emeraldisle

Can't put my finger on these guys. Sorry.
  8. oneuglybunny

Good clues; I'm sure that I know who these non-goodies are, but since I just had a turn, I'll keep quiet this trip. :)
  9. Glowworm

4. To be exact, we are all single celled organisms.
    5. We each have names, but are best known by our group name.
    6. "Crimes" that we have committed include littering (one piece of paper thrown on the floor), stealing fruit, and staying out all night on the grass of a lawn that says "keep off the grass"
  10. emeraldisle

Ah, I should have known from the beginning. It's the Amoeba Boys, from "The Powerpuff Girls."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Glowworm

Yup--it's the Amoeba Boys--also known as Bossman, Skinny, and Jr.
    All the clues are pretty much self-explanatory. Glad you got caught on, emeraldisle.
  12. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Now get ready for these clues:

1. I'm a dangerous hybrid by definition.

2. In one episode, I team up with three other villains, including a couple who became robots after being killed in a boat collision.

3. Although I'm feline, my name is serpentine.
  13. Glowworm

I do know this one somehow--but I am sitting this one out unless I absolutely have to answer this one.
  14. oneuglybunny

That must mean it's my turn to answer. Okay, I can recognize Hanna-Barbera's SWAT Kats even at this distance, so this must be the sinister Doctor Viper, a recurring villain in Megakat City. He started out as a feline botanist, toying with growth enhancers. Viper's greed made him steal an untested mutagen which would ultimately change him into a lizard-like creature bent on reducing Megakat City to a steamy jungle.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. emeraldisle

OUB, you get a big plus for guessing correctly. It is indeed Elrod Purvis/ Dr. Viper, and for all the reasons you stated. So you again have control of the board. Great job. :)
  16. oneuglybunny

Yow, that was fast. Now I must dig into my archives to see if I've got any worthy characters running around ...

Aha, found one, I hope. Here goes:

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film. She survives to the end of the story, so there's a slim chance that she could recur.

2) This character is not human. And she's female. And articulate, and bipedal. She's pretty much a girl with peculiar traits.

3) Being in show biz, this character starts out as a jealous, spiteful minx. She gets better once she gets face time with the hero, and remains a good gal from then on.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  17. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I'm not sure, but I'll throw out this guess anyway.

Is it Sawyer from Cats Don't Dance?
  18. oneuglybunny

Ooh, Salty, that posit of Sawyer is so very, very close. I want to award you the point nonetheless, except that Sawyer is merely cold and snarky when she comes into Farley Wink's office. She's an Ice Queen, no doubt; however Sawyer never has to cross the line from baddie to goodie. Farley Wink can be presumed to be capable of getting movie parts for animals, and Sawyer seems competent at her job. Note how she gave that "dude, yer gonna die" look to the eager lamb, who had been agog about getting a part in a Moses picture. Despite Sawyer's severe dislike of Danny, she doesn't act to subvert or sabotage him. The character I have in mind starts out full-on nasty, and works for a boss who's nose-deep in villain territory.
  19. emeraldisle

I'm getting nowhere with this character.
  20. oneuglybunny

Then I'd better start giving better clues. Let's try these three:

4) This character appears in a mostly animated film from 1991, with live actors appearing as bookends to the story.

5) Her role in this story is similar to "breathy blonde bimbo," except that she realizes the error of her ways and makes amends. Also, she doesn't have hair; she's just naturally a bright yellow color. She does have the breathy voice down pat, though.

6) Such a nice girl, how bad could she have been? I quote: "Deep, deep, the trouble you're in. I've thrown you to the sharks, and you can't swim."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.