1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Yep, that is the one. Take it away!
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, Salty. Now for one that's one hundred per cent untapped:

1. I shared screen time with a comic strip cat for a year.

2. I'm joined by a skeleton and a jack o'lantern.

3. I have the same name as the nickname of Archie Bunker's wife.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. saltyboot

Ah... This will be Dingbat from The Heathcliff and Dingbat Show.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. emeraldisle

Yes, it's Dingbat, the vampire dog. Now to refresh everyone's memories:

1. He shared screen time with Heathcliff in 1980, before being replaced with Marmaduke a year later.

2. His closest friends were Spare Rib the skeleton, and Nobody the living Jack O' Lantern.

3. Archie often called Edith "Dingbat."

So you're up once again, Salty. Good job. :)
  5. saltyboot

Sorry it took so long. Mondays are busy.

I appeared in a stopmotion movie.
    I am a king.
    I had the opportunity to venture out of my world.
  6. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This must be Jack Skellington - a.k.a. the Pumpkin King - from The Nightmare before Christmas.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. saltyboot

Absolutely correct! It's Jack Skellington, who ventured out of Halloween Town and explored Christmas Town.
  8. peterhale

Sorry for the delay...

1) I am one of a trio, although the third member is more of a sleeping partner.
    2) I'm crazy, of course, but is my insanity due to the time of year?
    3) I take tea.
  9. emeraldisle

Sorry, Pete. I can't figure this one out.
  10. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I believe this is the March Hare from Alice in Wonderland.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. peterhale

It is indeed - well spotted, Glowworm!
    I won't bother with clue explanations as I think they are self-evident.
  12. Glowworm

Thanks.
    Here's one.
    1. I have the same name as an earlier (by two years) Disney character.
    2. We also share the same voice actress.
    3. However, in my first outing, I am voiced by someone else.
  13. emeraldisle

I'll have to look this one up. Sorry.
  14. peterhale

We have had the Disney Witch Hazel - I think this is the WB Witch Hazel, introduced in Chuck Jones' Bewitched Bunny (1954, 2 years after the 1952 Donald Duck Trick or Treat).
    It was June Foray's voice for the Disney witch that apparently sparked Jones' film, but she was unwilling to help Jones "steal" the character from Disney, and he had to use Bea Benaderet. Foray later relented, since Jones' character was clearly such a different design, and voiced Hazel's two further WB theatrical shorts.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Glowworm

Indeed--this is Witch Hazel--besides "Broomstick Bunny" and "A Witch's Tangled Hare", there is also a Depatie-Freleng short entitled "A Haunting We Will Go" in which Daffy encounters the witch--or rather for the first half, Speedy Gonzales substituting for her. (Please don't ask!)
  16. peterhale

Just watched "A Haunting We Will Go" - it's weird!

Weird because in the orginal Looney Tunes the plot was there as a frame to hang gags on - but this is just plot with no gags! It's as if they had completely run out of ideas...

Witch Hazel wants a vacation, so she transforms a mouse into her image to "mind the shop" while she's gone. When Daffy shows up - to show his trick-or-treating child that there are no witches - he is given a cup of witches' brew which turns him into the "screwball" mash-up from Duck Amuck. Hazel returns, changes the mouse and Daffy back to normal, then chases Daffy, to catch and eat him. She scoops him up on her broom but he jumps off. A parachute opens to slow his fall, but turns into an anvil and drops him out of screen. Hazel, laughing at what she's done, crashes into a rock. Daffy's kid finds him and they set off back home. As Daffy repeats that there are no witches, he turns back into the screwball mash-up.

The mouse isn't just a mouse - as Glowworm said, he's Speedy Gonzales. This would be a gag cameo if Hazel didn't then say "It's that miserable mouse, Speedy Gonzalez!" Why explain who he is? It kills any humour. Half the film consists of Hazel explaining the plot, without even doing any decent acting in the animation: when she breaks from her recipe to ask "What am I so happy about? there is no change in her expression, and similarly when she switches from telling Speedy to "go away" to saying "Hmm.. (heheh!) I have an idea..!" there is no "take" or change of expression to register the moment of inspiration.

It is not surprising that nobody is credited with the story, but there is an awful lot of dialogue explaining what is happening. And no gags. Really. None!

Anyway, thanks to Glowworm and here is my next character...

1) At first they called me Sparky.
    2) I appeared with a silent movie star.
    3) I share a voice with numerous juvenile characters, including a dreamer and Lutheran.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. emeraldisle

Pete, this one requires a truckload of research.
  18. saltyboot

Hmmm. I know the voice actor, but I can't find the appropriate "Sparky."
  19. Glowworm

I'm unsure of this character myself.

However, I completely agree with your opinion on "A Haunting We Will Go", peterhale. It's actually a guilty pleasure of mine that I like to watch once a year around Halloween due to being such a weird mess. Also, I used to see it quite a bit as a child on Nickelodeon--they used to show tons of early Porky Pig shorts and Depatie--Freleng Looney Tunes (the dreaded Speedy and Daffy shorts as well as Cool Cat and Merlin the Magic Mouse). Sadly, I think this was my first introduction to Witch Hazel--whom I always loved regardless.

Yet, this cartoon focuses more on Daffy than anyone else, and not much of Witch Hazel--at least the real one, is seen despite her being the "plot." Also, the recycled animation from "Broomstick Bunny" is a mess. Daffy's nephew is wearing Bugs Bunny's witch costume--but the coloring on the mask is all wrong--making it look different colors other than pure green. Witch Hazel herself sports a rather pale face compared to her earlier shorts and it's extremely weird seeing Speedy basically doing Hazel's routine from "Broomstick Bunny" when greeting Daffy at the door and offering him "tea." Also, Daffy's line about the witch being somebody's mother or father is pretty bizarre if you ask me. Not to mention that Daffy isn't at all suspicious about a witch with a rather familiar sounding accent to the guy he got stuck with during this time period? At least this one is watchable compared to most of the Speedy and Daffy shorts, since Speedy is mainly there as Hazel's double rather than as himself.
  20. peterhale

Time for more clues...

4) My name was changed to fit the advertising slogan.
    5) In the real world, I got lost on the way to the Philippines.
    6) First appearing in the 50s, I made a cone-back in the 70s. In 2010 I returned as CGI, with the voice of a boy genius.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.