1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I know this one too, but I'm going to be busy so I'll pass for now.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I thought someone would get it by now, so here are the last three clues:

4. My animated debut was in 1967.

5. At that time, my late voice actor also voiced a tiny superhero, as well as three characters on another show from my studio that aired on a rival network.

6. I was brought in as a substitute for another teen sidekick for whom my studio was unable to get the rights.
  3. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Fine, I'll take care of this one. This is Speedy of the Teen Titans.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. emeraldisle

Right you are, Glowworm. Now to explain:

1. He shares his name with Speedy Gonzales.

2. He's the sidekick of the Green Arrow.

3. His first three team mates were Aqualad, Kid Flash, and Wondergirl.

4. He debuted in 1967, in the "Teen Titans" segment of "The Superman/Aquaman Adventure Hour."

5. His voice actor was the late Pat Harrington Jr, who at that time also voiced the Atom on the show, as well as Lars, Alec McEwen, and Torg on "Journey To The Center Of The Earth," which aired on ABC. The other show aired on CBS.

6. He was used as a substitute for Robin, who wouldn't be animated by Filmation for another year.

So it's your turn once again, Glowworm. Good job. :)
  5. Glowworm

Thanks, I wasn't ready to post the answer the first time because I was a bit busy and couldn't think of a new character. I've got one now though.
    1. I have been seen in animated form for a commercial based upon a children's game of the same name.
    2. The object of the game is to collect the most butterflies.
    3. The game came out in 1993 and is still around today, with a spin off game, and a female version.
  6. saltyboot

It's Elefun, the elephant. The female version of the game is called Belefun.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Glowworm

Yup--cute little guy, I never actually played the game but I grew up on the commercial--which can very easily get stuck in your head. The spinoff game, by the way, is the Elefun Busy Ball Popper.
  8. saltyboot

I never played the game either, but I kinda remember the commercials.

I'm a supervillian without a superhero.
    I tried to make my own hero, but that backfired.
    Now, the rolls are reversed.
  9. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Huh, not until now have we fielded Megamind as a Mystery Character. This arch villain of Metro City started out with Metro Man as his nemesis, but when the hero was presumed dead, Megamind found that being a dictator got boring, fast. Just to keep himself amused, Megamind created Titan as a foil, but Titan outgrew that role, which compelled Megamind to become a superhero to thwart his renegade creation. Love the backstory as told by Megs: "He'd [Metro Man] win some, I'd almost win others ..."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. saltyboot

Yep, it's the now tapped vein of Megamind. You now have full control of the board!
  11. oneuglybunny

Bravo for finding that untapped vein, Saltyboot. Now it's up to me to find virgin territory. Ah, here's one! (Euw.)

1) This character has appeared only once to date in a feature film. Some of the feature is animated, most of it isn't, but let's focus on the better part. :yawn:

2) Though he started out as a cel-painted, two-dimensional cartoon character, this haywire renegade developed into a rendered, three-dimensional cartoon hellion that gets loose in the real world. :nailbiting:

3) On the plus side, this character got Title billing. On the minus side, this character's movie bombed badly in theaters, and holds an abysmal score on Rotten Tomatoes. :blackeye:
  12. emeraldisle

Well, I'll have to look into this one. I'm sure I'll find the answer somewhere.
  13. Glowworm

Could this be Monkeybone of the movie of the same name? This movie did indeed flop in theaters and got poor reviews.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. oneuglybunny

It could be, and it is. This is Monkeybone, a cartoon character created by Stu Miley, played by Brendan Fraser. Monkeybone starts out as a cel-painted cartoon character being pitched to producers and broadcasters. They like him, since Monkeybone is a monkey with Screwy Squirrel's comic mayhem. An accident bring Stu into the cartoon world, which Monkeybone exploits to escape into Stu's world. Box Office Mojo estimates it took $75 million to make this hybrid movie, which recouped only $5.4 million in ticket sales. Ouch.

But let's not dwell on this loser monkey. I'll attach a fresh +1 to Glowworm's tally sheet, and let her take control of the game board. :)
  15. Glowworm

Yeah, I used to see commercials for this movie back in seventh grade. It looked horrible.
    Anyhow, I will be a bit busy today, so please stand by until I can find some time to post a character.
  16. Glowworm

I got one now.
    1. I am a super hero--although there has never been an explanation as to how I acquired my super powers.
    2. I also happen to be a lab animal. My human caretaker has no idea I am a badass superhero.
    3. You know how most superheroes have special signals or hotlines to call them when they're needed? My partner communicates to me through telekinesis.
  17. emeraldisle

Now I'm really stumped. I hope someone else can get it.
  18. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This sounds like Monkey from the Dial M for Monkey segments of Dexter's Laboratory.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Glowworm

It is indeed Monkey from Dial M for Monkey, although Monkey sometimes had some roles throughout episodes of Dexter's Lab as well.
    1. Monkey is indeed a superhero--but we never learn how the heck he became a super powered monkey.
    2. Dexter owns Monkey, and despite being a super genius, has no idea Monkey is so incredible. He does actually learn of Monkey's identity in "Last but Not Beast" but of course, like in all cartoons where a secret like this is finally found out, Monkey erases Dexter's memory of this.
    3. Batman has the Bat Signal, the Powerpuff Girls have the Hotline, Monkey gets his orders through Agent Honeydew, who has telekinetic powers. "Monkey, hear my thoughts."
  20. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Sorry for the delay - my wife has been unwell, so my time has been a bit limited.

1) My father takes offence at the wedding plans.
    2) The Giant proposes a solution.
    3) I save his life, at the risk of my own.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.