1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This is a new one on me. If there's one thing I've never seen, it's a cartoon with "parasites."
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Sorry for the delay folks.

I'm a young man, but have all white hair.
    I also smoke, but there is a legitimate reason.
    This anime TV series was released on DVD in North America in 2007.
  3. emeraldisle

Sorry, but I just can't find this guy.
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I can! It's Ginko from Mushishi.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

You got it. So far, this is the only anime that I actually like.

Ginko's real name is Yoki.
    These “parasites” are called mushi.
    Mushi are drawn towards him, so he smokes to keep them away.

You're up peterhale. [thumbup]
  6. peterhale

Sorry for the delay, again...

1) I appear only briefly in one feature, but the moment is memorable.
    2) In a sequence that references the prison movie genre, I am a grim reminder of the ultimate fate of inmates.
    3) I go with a jaunty air - after all, I'm going for a walk.
  7. emeraldisle

I have honestly and truthfully never heard of this character.
  8. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Aha, this is Nutsy, the happy dog from Lady And The Tramp, who gets taken for "the last walk," at the dog pound. He goes to the "Keep Out" room, with his ears and tail up, and his tongue out, delighted to be out of that cage. One mighty memorable moment, indeed.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. peterhale

Spot on, OUB - Nutsy it is!

Lady: My licence? But what's wrong with it?
    Peg: There ain't nothin' wrong with it, dearie.
    Boris: Confidential, is not one dog here would not give left hind leg for such a knick-knack.
    Peg: That's your passport to freedom, honey. Without it...
    Toughy: Hey! Hey! yous guys, look. Poor Nutsy is takin' the long walk.
    Lady: Where is he taking him?
    Toughy: Through the one-way door, sister.
    Lady: You... You mean he's...
    Bull: Oh, well - a short life and a merry one.
    Toughy: Yeah, that's what the Tramp always says.

One of those great moments that underline how carefully the best Disney films were crafted. Without this dark moment the threat of the dog-catcher, and the Tramp's fate when captured, would not be so terrible. Peg is interrupted in her explanation of why Lady's license is her passport to freedom by Toughy calling their attention to what's happening in the corridor. Nutsy goes to his end "brave, smiling" (as described in the draft) - but only the shadows of the guard and the dog are seen in the shot, stopping us from seeing Nutsy as an individual but as a representative of all unlicensed mongrels. After a cut to Lady asking "Where is he taking him?" we cut back to actually see the guard and Nutsy going through "the one-way door" - a long shot that tracks in on the closing door to show the "KEEP OUT" sign. The other dogs comment on his fate, and the conversation turns to the Tramp, leading to Peg's song, as Lady learns about Tramp's past life. A compact sequence with nothing wasted, and all pure entertainment in its performance.

Award yourself a great big point, and take the floor, Mr Bunny!
  10. oneuglybunny

Oh, yes, both Disney and Bluth knew that if given the chance to be awesome, animators will be awesome.

Now, can I think of a Mystery Character with more screen time, and just as memorable? Perhaps I can, by tapping a parallel vein.

1) This character has appeared in two animated features, a televised series, and a direct-to-video production.

2) Though he survives to the end of the stories, and could recur, that's doubtful. His iconic voice actor passed away in 2009, and his director has retired from film-making.

3) A little like Fermat's Last Theorem, someone succeeds in proving a fact that had eluded experts. This character makes a similar deduction that his longtime companion hasn't, in fact, died.
  11. emeraldisle

I'll really need to look this one up.
  12. emeraldisle

Found him. It's Tiger, from the "American Tail" movies.
  13. peterhale

Hmm... Emeraldisle may be right, but I'm going to posit another Dom DeLuise character - Itchy Itchiford from the All Dogs Go To Heaven franchise.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. oneuglybunny

So very close, EI. At one point, while wandering through the southwest desert, a delusional Tiger greets a mirage of Fievel. Fievel, equally dehydrated, responds to a mirage of Tiger. Of course, the funny thing is, neither was a mirage. But neither character was ready to accept such a sight at face value. So Tiger the cat never thought Fievel had died, he merely believed Fievel the mouse wasn't really there.

Ah, the mighty PeterHale comes through, identifying the voice of the late Dom DeLuise, and the Mystery Character of Itchiford "Itchy" Dachshund from Don Bluth's All Dogs Go To Heaven. The IMDb listing is off; Charlie Barkin formally introduces his cohort to the orphan Ann Marie. Itchy was there when the wicked Carface sent a jalopy careening along the pier to plow Charlie to his watery grave. Charlie came back, however, and convinced a terrified Itchy that he wasn't a ghost. "Look, Itchy: do ghosts have fleas?" He puts one of his fleas on Itchy's nose, whereupon it happily dives into his fur. "No," reasons Itchy, "ghosts don't have fleas." Let's see those scientists prove that theorem. In the meantime, I'll award PeterHale a fresh, shiny +1, and control of the game board. :D
  15. peterhale

1) I am the prime mover in my one and only theatrical short, and share the title with my co-star. Nevertheless, this film is presented as his first solo outing.
    2) I am supremely confident of my abilities and the simplicity of the trap into which I lure our prey - although when it fails I nearly perish.
    3) I am swallowed by an unexpected predator - which is then swallowed itself in a very similar manner.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  16. emeraldisle

This sounds vaguely familiar, but I just can't place it.
  17. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This sounds somewhat like the worm from "The Early Bird Dood it!"
  18. oneuglybunny

Well, now it's my turn for positing. I would posit that this is Wilbur the Grasshopper from the 1939 Disney cartoon "Goofy And Wilbur." Wilbur, not looking where he's hopping, sails right into the open maw of a waiting frog. The frog is subsequently devoured by a nearby crane. The funniest part, in my meaningless opinion, is how Goofy adopts the hopping method of locomotion while pursuing the frog, and adopts the long-legged cranking method while pursuing the crane. :joyful:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. peterhale

And you've nailed it, OUB - Wilbur it is!

In the first of the "Goofy" series of shorts, Wilbur hops across the water, without breaking its surface tension, and gets fish to chase him into Goofy's waiting net - the mesh of which lets Wilbur drop through, of course, while capturing the fish. But when the mesh is ripped apart as Goofy hastily unloads a particularly fat fish, Wilbur leaps through the net only to find his pursuer following him unhindered. Goofy manages to free him from inside the fish, and Wilbur recovers, ready to get back to work. But as OUB explained, having eluded a gang of fish Wilbur unwittingly leaps straight into the gaping maw of a frog, whch in turn, escaping from the frantically pursuing Goofy, leaps into the waiting beak of a crane. In a happy - but logic-defying - ending, Wilbur emerges fighting fit from the crane's egg!

Wilbur subsequently appeared on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, as Daisy's missing pet, and in the TV special On Vacation with Mickey Mouse and Friends Jiminy Cricket introduces the short by referring to Wilbur as "my nephew".

Back to you, Oneuglybunny!
  20. oneuglybunny

Dang, I can't think of anyone that adventurous. Maybe I can offset that by tapping into a recurring character.

1) This character appears from time to time in an animated cartoon series no longer in production. He's not in all episodes, but he does span both seasons.

2) He's not a main character, and certainly not a member of the core family. Despite his tertiary character status, he's still a Boss.

3) Every time this character is mentioned, it's always by his last name. For the record, his first name isn't Mister, it's Spencer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.