1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

You got it! It's Maleficent, and for all the reasons you posted. Except for #3, her name in the ballet was Carabosse.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, Saltyboot. Since Peterhale came close with his answer, I'll pass my turn to hm.
  3. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Maleficent and Aurora were exactly what I was thinking about,although I was more certain that it was Maleficent rather than Aurora, but I wanted to give someone else a turn.

I was also originally thinking about the Nutcracker as well due to Clara's name originally being Marie in the book.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks Emeraldisle! I do have a character in mind...

1) In a feature full of antagonists I am the most wicked.
    2) I am known by my job description - but it conceals my real trade!
    3) I encourage my proteges to undergo a transformation.
  5. emeraldisle

And you're welcome, BTW. Now I've got the answer after just a few hours of thought. It's The Coachman, from "Pinocchio"

1. There are several different villains in the movie, but the Coachman is so evil that even Foulfellow and Gideon fear him!

2. He turns out to be more thnn just a coachman. He also sells donkeys to the salt mines and gets other to pull his coach.

3. These donkeys are the boys he brings to Pleasure Island. Their lazy habits bring about the transformation.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

It is indeed the Coachman (who seems to have acquired the name of Barker somewhere along the line - unnecessarily, in my opinion!) for the reasons you listed. Well spotted, Emeraldisle - and back to you again!
  7. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now let's see about these clues:

1. I escape during a hostile takeover of my homeland in a craft with a colorful name.

2. I seek help from a famous quartet who'd had their own animated series a few years earlier.

3. My movie is the only animated one based on one of their classic songs.
  8. saltyboot

I bet it's Old Fred from Yellow Submarine.

He escapes while the Blue Meanies are invading Pepperland.
    He seeks help from The Beatles, who had an animated series.
    The movie is based on the song... Yellow Submarine.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. emeraldisle

And Old Fred it is, for all the reasons you stated. I figured that was the perfect way to observe the 50th anniversary of Beatlemania here in America.

Take it away, Saltyboot. :)
  10. saltyboot

Thanks! I'll try and post a character tonight, but it might be tomorrow.
  11. saltyboot

Ok, here it is.

At first, I was thought to be a beach ball.
    When I hatched, I naturally thought the guy I was looking at was my father.
    Although I'm small, I can get big. Really big.
  12. emeraldisle

Sorry, I can't think of any that match those clues.
  13. Glowworm

This is Dexter the Dragon from ("The Dragon That Wasn't Or Was He?") I know this because I saw this one once as a child and asked about it on the mystery cartoon section a few years ago.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. saltyboot

That is correct Glowworm. It is Dexter the dragon.

You're up.
  15. Glowworm

Yeah, somehow the memory of this movie remained with me throughout my life.
    1. I'm a well known fairy tale character.
    2. There have been many version of me, however this one is probably the first one many people will think of.
    3. I have a fondness for disguises--especially drag.
  16. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Hmm, the one fairy-tale character that I recall dressing as a woman as a matter of canon is the Big Bad Wolf, who wore the bedclothes of Red Riding Hood's grandmother as part of his deception. This tale has had many iterations in its day; one that comes to my mind is the subtext story of the Danish Rudcapchen that underscores the anime Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. That last line underscores Kei Amemiya's doomed role perfectly: "... and the Wolf ate her all up." This is verbatim the ending of the original story. Ouch.
  17. saltyboot

I was thinking the same thing OUB.
  18. Glowworm

Yes it is The Big Bad Wolf--Disney's to be exact.
    1. Well that's self explanatory--there are many fairy tales about wolves--most of them in the villain's seat.
    2. Many cartoons have used the wolf, however, Disney's may be the most well known version.
    3. In his cartoons, the wolf is constantly seen holding a carpet bag--which holds a disguise of sorts. Drag seems to be his thing because in "The Big Bad Wolf" he's seen as "Goldilocks the Fairy Queen" and as Grandma. (this short is Red Riding Hood themed although the pigs are also there) In "The Three Little Wolves" he's Little Bo Peep, and in "The Practical Pig" he's a mermaid.
  19. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Surprise, a right answer instead of a brick. Cool, good character, Glowworm. :D

Well, this vein has been tapped before, but I'm drilling into the other arm now ...

1) This character has appeared only once so far in an animated feature film. Further appearances are certainly possible, since this character is last seen alive, intact and unhurt.

2) An entirely different character is the hero of the feature film, and is therefore the title character. However, this character actually grapples with the primary antagonist, and vanquishes the villain.

3) Being a jolly, affable fellow, this character civilly shakes hands with the title character. :)
  20. emeraldisle

I haven't even the slightest clue. Good luck to the one who comes up with the right answer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.