1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Indeed, let me sweep away a lot of ambiguity.

4) Ralph Bakshi had nothing to do with this character, nor with any part of this production. It wasn't produced anywhere in the United States, for that matter. Nor was it produced in Japan, or any of the Pacific Rim studios.

5) This character has a companion, a faithful one though badly confused, almost to the point of cuckoo.

6) The authorities pursue this character and his companion not because they're violent criminals, but because something they're carrying is too dangerous to be loose in the world, hence the title of their animated film.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Guess I'll throw in the towel here. Maybe someone who knows more about animated foreign films than I do will get it.
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, it's not the character I was thinking it was. Back to the drawing board.
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I think this must be Rowf from Plague Dogs, officially a British film (although I have a dim memory of Arthur Humberstone, c. 1979 on a visit to the studio where I worked to catch up with old colleague Bill Hopper, saying he was going to the US to work on it.)
  5. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is very much Rowf from The Plague Dogs, a feature film from Nepenthe Productions, the same people who gave us the animation behind Watership Down. So far, this film is Rowf's only appearance. He is seen in a drowning tank at the research lab: apparently to "research" how many times one poor dog can die. Rowf later makes a daring escape with another dog, Snitter, who has had brain surgery just for the lolz. During the escape, it is speculated, though never confirmed, that the two escapees contacted contagion samples meant for destruction, and have become plague carriers. I'm surmising that Nepenthe Studios did all the work in-house, rather than farm it out to foreign scribblers; the UK has almost as much faith in animated media as Canada. Rather than be recaptured by the authorities, and sent back to the horrors of the lab, Rowf and Snitter swim out to sea and presumably drown.

I knew that PeterHale would recognize a home-grown feature, or possibly Glowworm has glimpsed this film for a sociology project, and never forgot it. Good for you, sir. Collect another +1, give my regards to the UK for taking animated drama seriously, and give us another Mystery Character to solve. :D
  6. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Actually, while I have heard of Plague Dogs, I have never seen it.
  7. peterhale

Here's one...

1) I started off as a stubborn, mean-spirited, reactionary curmugeon, but my character was softened over time.

2) My first short was the first of a new series for the distributing studio, who didn't like it much.

3) Despite disliking me, they released it because it featured a bear.
  8. emeraldisle

Ah, I came up with the right answer on my way home from the supermarket. It's Quincy Magoo.

1. He was indeed an old curmudgeon who gradually mellowed.

2. UPA, I guess, didn't like the concept of a visually impaired gent.

3. His first short was called "Ragtime Bear."
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. peterhale

Got it in one!

1) Mr Magoo (Quincy to his friends!) was initially a stubborn old coot whose short-sightedness was more or less a metaphor for a refusal to see reality. As he became popular they toned down his misanthropic grumbling and played up the innocent short-sightedness.

2) I should perhaps have said "distribution company". Columbia, dissatisfied with the output of Screen Gems, contracted with UPA for cartoons featuring the Columbia characters the Fox and the Crow. When the first two of these gained Academy Award nominations, Columbia acceded to the studio's desire to create its own characters. This new series was "Jolly Frolics", and "Ragtime Bear" was the first entry.

3) Columbia were not impressed by Magoo - they wanted 'funny animals'! They agreed to accept the film only because it featured a bear.

Excellent use of that travel time, Em - your point and your turn!
  10. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now get a load of these clues:

1. Of the four girls on my show, I'm the smartest one of all.

2. Some call me a mechanical wizard.

3. When trying to foil the bad guys, I usually work closely with the team coward.
  11. Glowworm

Ah, this is Valerie of Josie and the Pussycats.
  12. emeraldisle

Yes, Glowworm, Valerie Brown is the one.

1. She's the smartest girl on the show.

2. Her skills are indeed mechanically inclined.

3. Most of the time, she gets Alexander to help her thwart the bad guys by rewiring the machines.

Good job once again, Glowworm. Take another turn. :)
  13. Glowworm

Yeah, Valerie is an extremely positive African American character--which is nice.
    Here's one I've recently discovered.

1. My name, and occupation are the same as a well known live action Disney character.
    2. There is an adjective in my name although technically I am neither insane nor angry--well I'm not angry on a regular basis.
    3. My companion is a rather stupid rat. That's not a derogatory term. He really is a rat.
  14. emeraldisle

I had a hunch, but I double-checked just to be sure. It's Mad Jack, The Pirate.
  15. Glowworm

Yep, your hunch is a good one and a correct one. I recently discovered this one through seeing a fanart of it on Deviantart. Intrigued, I looked it up--and discovered that all the episodes are on youtube so I have been watching it lately.

Anyhow to decipher those clues.
    1. Yes, Mad Jack is a pirate, much like a certain Captain Jack Sparrow who also shares his name and occupation.
    2. Truthfully, despite the expressive moniker, Jack is not an insane character, nor is he constantly angry like say Yosemite Sam. However, he can rightfully become angry like any cartoon character in given situations when needed.
    3. Snuk is Mad Jack's faithful, yet dimwitted rat companion.
  16. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Here's one I almost posted earlier:

1. On my island, I'm the center of attention.

2. Halfway through the short, I'm threatened by a self-promoting simian villain.

3, In the end, I fly away with the one who saved me from the big brute, and our three offspring.
  17. Glowworm

I know this one for certain, but will wait this one out for now.
  18. emeraldisle

It's not easy to come up with three more clues for this one, but here goes:

4. The title of my short is a takeoff on a Hawaiian love song.

5. My friends arrive by ship.

6. My daughters look just like me, and my son like his dad, especially during the closing gag.

Now I'm fresh out of clues.
  19. Glowworm

If no one else gets it by tonight, I shall answer it.
  20. Glowworm

As promised, here I am to answer your character.
    This is Leilani the hula dancer from "Aloha Hooey"

1. Leilani is absolutely beautiful, so naturally she attracts the attention of two stowaway birds.
    2. A gorilla randomly shows up wearing a sweater that labels him as "The Villain." The back of his shirt reads "As if you didn't know"
    3. Cecil Crow shows up wearing a sweater labeling him as "The Hero." So naturally, Leilani takes to him. In the end, they have three children with them.
    4. "Aloha Hooey" is a play on words of the Hawaiian song "Aloha Hoy."
    5. Cecil Crow and Sammy Seagull are stowaways aboard a ship.
    6. Self explanatory. Two of the little ones look just like Leilani, while the last one looks exactly like Cecil.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.