1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, not this February, but if I specified the year, it'd be a mighty give-away. Thus, I'm tempted to spell out the answer and hand off the baton, but I'll give my fellow 'toonists one more crack at it. As ELO sang so eloquently: "Don't bring me down."

7) As mentioned, this character has a brother. The two males don't get along well. As boys, they got into a big tussle that ultimately separated them. Much later, as grown men, they again butted heads. One brother did not survive the reunion.

8) The world this character inhabits has elves and goblins and faeries and mutants. There are magic spells and shape-shifting, as well as belt-fed machine guns and a movie projector. It's a real kitchen-sink world.

9) This character was created by an independent producer who must shill his works to major studios to get them into theaters. Considering this producer / animator's infamous distinction, few major studios are willing to have any connection with him.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Ah, got it now. It's Avatar, from "Wizards."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. oneuglybunny

Ah, thank you, EmeraldIsle, I was beginning to worry. Yes, this is Avatar from Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.

1) So far, Avatar has appeared only in this one feature film. The bald kid with the flying moose is another character entirely.
    2) The fairy princess Delia inexplicably became pregnant, and retreated into her home, where she eventually birthed twins: Avatar and Blackwolf.
    3) The land of faeries has a president who wears a mime's mask. An assassin sent by Blackwolf kills this president while he is consulting Avatar.

4) Wizards was produced by Bakshi Productions, and debuted in theaters on Wednesday 9 February 1977.
    5) One look at Bakshi's filmography, and it's likely that he'd never be allowed anywhere near Walt Disney Studios.
    6) Avatar ventures into the land called Scortch to bring an end to the war between the mutants and monsters of Scortch and the elves and faeries of the west.

7) Shortly after Delia died, her sons had a fight for dominance. Avatar won, leaving Blackwolf to slink away to the land of Scortch.
    8) According to the prologue, Avatar's world is Earth after a global nuclear war. Thousands of years later, elves and faeries reappeared, as did deformed humans.
    9) Ralph Bakshi is pretty much a studio of one. His most notable vehicle was Fritz The Cat, the first animated feature to be rated X at the time.

Pardon me for tapping such an obscure work, but we're running out of virgin cartoons here, so the oddballs are about all that's left. Collect your 191st point, EI, and take control of the board. :)
  4. emeraldisle

You're welcome. And on the subject of oddballs....

1. In our case, two heads are not better than one.

2. We join a courageous young girl and the boy she meets to recover a stolen weapon.

3. We're each named for a specific location in our home country.
  5. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Devon and Cornwall from Quest for Camelot? They match the first 2 clues, but I don't know about the third.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. emeraldisle

Allow me to explain. Devon and Cornwall are counties in England.

At any rate, you got it, so it's your turn once again. Great job. :)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  7. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I am driven by my compulsive pedantry to mention that Devon and Cornwall are actually counties rather than townships.
  8. emeraldisle

Thanks for the correction, Pete.
  9. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Pardon me for interupting, but Appa is a flying bison, not a moose.
  10. saltyboot

Thanks emeraldisle. Here's mine.

I look similar to my buddy. Except I'm a lot bigger and have red hair.
    The name I call my friend is not his real name.
    He failed at getting me a pet, so I had to get it myself.
  11. emeraldisle

Can't put my finger on it. Sorry.
  12. Glowworm

I've got it. It's Benny--who's been in both "Cat Tails for Two" (The first Speedy Gonzales cartoon.) and "Hoppy Go Lucky" which is the one your clues refer to.

1. Benny is a pretty big black and white cat who looks a bit like Sylvester, except he's got a mop of unkempt red hair.
    2. Benny calls Sylvester "George" (Obviously a homage to "Of Mice and Men")
    3. Benny wants a mouse for a pet, he ends up getting Hippity Hopper.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. saltyboot

That's exactly it Glowworm, and for all the reasons stated.
  14. Glowworm

Thanks. Benny always made me laugh as a kid when I watched "Cat Tails for Two" (I first saw "Hoppy Go Lucky" when I was in middle school)
    Here's a no brainer.

1. I am the child of a dysfunctional family.
    2. My mother lacks much emotion while my father shows far too much of it.
    3. I wear a diaper, but I'm obviously far too old to be wearing one.
  15. emeraldisle

I know this, but again, I feel like letting someone else answer.
  16. oneuglybunny

Not too sure about the "diaper" part, but I'll throw out another brick guess here: Milo Oblong from The Oblongs. "Don't just watch, stare."
  17. Glowworm

Nope, I don't even know who that is, honestly.
  18. emeraldisle

Looks like it's up to me to answer after all. It's Junior Bear, of the Three Bears cartoons.

1. He's the child of the very dysfunctional bears.

2. His mom shows little if any emotion, except for their first appearance in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. But the father can go ballistic over the slightest thing, like when he saw jars of honey in the cupboard after bees attacked him fiercely.

3. Self-explanatory.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Glowworm

Indeed, it is Junior Bear and while number three is self-explanatory, there is another explanation to it all the same. In "A Bear For Punishment," Junior recites a Father's day poem entitled "My Pa, by Junior Bear age 7 and 1/2." Yeah, seven and a half is way too old for a diaper.
  20. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworn. Now, here's a no-brainer I decided on after visiting a Barnes And Noble yesterday:

1. My story was animated along with two other tales.

2. Like the other two, my segment was introduced by the author's signature creation.

3. I keep trying to get my buddy to eat a strangely colored meal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.