1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

The only character I thought of is already on the list. I'll keep looking.
  2. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I'm thinking Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

And you are correct - it is Oswald!

1) Originally created by the Walt Disney studio for Universal Studios in1927, the character was taken over by Charles Mintz's Winkler Studios (along with most of Disney's staff) in 1928. Universal took direct control of Oswald in 1929, setting up their own cartoon studio headed by Walter Lantz and Bill Nolan. (In 1935 Lantz persuaded Universal to let him take over the cartoon studio, and it became Walter Lantz Productions.) The Walt Disney Co. acquired the rights to Oswald in 2006.

2) Oh no! I was wrong! Lantz was slow to switch to 3 strip Technicolor - Disney's exclusive agreement meant other cartoon studios could not use it until 1935, for films to be released in 1936, but Universal were happy with black and white and it was not until 1939 that Lantz felt he needed to move into colour. The first full colour Oswald (for which he was redesigned again, from Manuel Moreno's white rabbit of the 1935 Case of the Lost Sheep to the light brown version that continued in the comics) was also his last - The Egg Cracker Suite 1943. BUT... I had failed to notice that in 1935 Lantz made some cartoons in 2-color Technicolor - and one was an Oswald short, Springtime Serenade. So clue 2 was wrong - for which I can only apologise, and hang my head in shame!

3) Although originally a married man (Poor Papa, the first Disney Oswald short, initially rejected by Universal and eventually released a year later) Oswald was redesigned as a younger character, and often had a love interest. His first girlfriend was another rabbit (not named in the films, but known as Fanny) but in The Banker's Daughter his love interest is a cat, and she continued to appear in subsequent shorts (she is now officially named Ortensia).

Back to you, Glow!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Glowworm

Thanks, I wasn't initially certain it was Oswald at first--especially because the second clue did throw me off after I looked him up and I wasn't sure if 3 studios actually produced Oswald shorts.

However, that third clue was the one that made me fairly certain it was Oswald.

Anyhow-- I think this one will do.

1. I'm the title character of a well known children's song.
    2. However, this version is a lot jazzier.
    3. My wife chops an awful lot of wood.
  5. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

My search for a match turned up nothing.
  6. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I'm stumped, too. Let's see what the next clues reveal!
  7. Glowworm

Very well.

4. I play a mean piano
    5. I'm a farmer
    6. My wife does not appreciate my band, and neither does my son.
  8. emeraldisle

Emeraldisle has the answer: E-i-e-i-o! It's Old McDonald! :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Glowworm

Sorry for not responding earlier, I actually saw your post, but had no time to elaborate. Yes, it's Old MacDonald from the Disney short "Jack and Old Mac" (which are actually two shorts strung together.)
    1. The song is "Old MacDonald had a Farm."
    2. In this case, it's "Old MacDonald had a band" and is sung in a catchy, jazzy tune.
    3. Throughout the short, Mac's wife is chopping wood--the piles become quite large after a while.
    4. Self-explanitory.
    5. Old MacDonald is a farmer by trade.
    6. We can clearly see that Mac's wife does not care for his band as she takes her frustration out on chopping wood throughout the short and wears an frown. A trio of singers and a little boy sing the song, but the boy does it rather begrudgingly, having to constantly be bopped on the head by one of the singers to get him to sing. The boy must be MacDonald's son as he follows the irrate wife as she trudges into the house to smack her husband with a rolling pin.
  10. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Now here's a true no-brainer:

1. We're a brotherly trio.

2. Our family also consists of uncles, cousins, and in-laws.

3. We're recruited by a couple of snooty marsupials to dispose of a teeny-tiny object.
  11. emeraldisle

Guess this one wasn't as easy as I thought. So here are the last three clues:

4. We literally specialize in monkey business.

5. Like all the other animals in our story, we refuse to believe a pachyderm's claims, until the very end.

6. The book on which both our animated special and movie are based is now sixty years old, and was written by the same guy who immortalized an unusual cat.
  12. Glowworm

I think I've finally figured this one out--(I've never actually seen or read this one) however, I'm sitting this one out unless I absolutely have to answer this one.
  13. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

My research is incomplete, but I can point someone in the right direction, I believe:
    The 2008 production by Blue Sky Studios is Horton Hears A Who. Horton the elephant is certain that something sentient is living in a mote of dust upon a clover, but nobody believes him because the concept is so preposterous. The snooty kangaroo voiced by Carol Burnett and her son are determined to break Horton of his fixation by destroying the clover and its dust mote once and for all. I can't rightly name the monkeys, though, that are recruited for the disposal mission.
  14. saltyboot

The monkeys are the Wickersham Brothers, so I'm going to say that is the answer.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. emeraldisle

You got it, Saltyboot. So take your well-deserved turn. You've earned it. Good job. :)
  16. saltyboot

Thanks! I have one in mind but can't put the clues together yet. I should have it up later tonight.
  17. saltyboot

Okay..... here ya go.

I am a performer, as well as a leader.
    I came close to executing the main characters.
    I die in the original story.
  18. emeraldisle

I'm clueless again. Hopefully, another player has the answer.
  19. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Heads up, brick incoming ...
    The Ringmaster from the Loonatics Unleashed episode The World Is My Circus. Though his name and title are both Ringmaster, he's revealed to be the face of the evil operation; Otto the Odd is the mastermind behind the facade. Once the Ringmaster was mutated into a hideous monster, he tried to crush / skewer the heroes, but didn't succeed. The episode has Ringmaster and Otto captured by Tech Coyote's gluco-gel; possibly the original script called for Ringmaster to be destroyed in the fight.
  20. saltyboot

**Sees brick coming and ducks**
    Nope, not the Ringmaster. Actually, I have never seen a Loonatics episode.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.