1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Ok. Here I go.

1. Along with a pink snake, we're the pets of one of the main characters.

2. We're both named for an iconic singer who had Georgia on his mind.

3. Our owner was a real life legend who's been gone for nearly five years.
  2. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

These are Michael Jackson's pet rats, Ray & Charles, from the Jackson 5ive series. (I'd always thought they were mice!)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. emeraldisle

Right again, Pete. All clues are self-explanatory, so you're up once again.. Great job. :)
  4. peterhale

How about this one...

1) My show features several strange characters, and I am one!

2) My head is what I do. (In the original verse my face was just hidden - hence the adjective - but the designer of the show took the illustration to more surreal lengths.)

3) The show's format was borrowed from a popular late 60s comedy show.
  5. emeraldisle

I do know this, but I'll wait and see if someone else can figure it out.
  6. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Perhaps I can "figure it out." This sounds mightily like The Umbrageous Umbrella Maker from The Tomfoolery Show, which aired in the United States in 1971. The show was produced by Arthur Rankin and Jules Bass, who contracted the animation services of John Halas and Joy Batchelor. The Umbrageous Umbrella Maker actually had a deployed umbrella as his head / face, complete with a pair of spectacles and a handle, which presumably needed to be held in place. One edge would oscillate as this character spoke. The show's comic styling harkens strongly to that of Dan Rowan and Dick Martin's Laugh-In from the Sixties. :D
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. peterhale

Spot on, OUB!

The show was derived primarily the works of Edward Lear, with additional gags and riddles, and some poems by other nonsense-verse writers, such as Lewis Carrol. Lear coined a lot of nonsense adjectives, such as scroobious and fizzgiggious, but umbrageous is a real word, meaning literally 'giving shade' and figuratively 'liable to take offence'.

My memory failed me, though, and once again I must apologise for an error. The fact that the umbrella has a handle, as OUB points out, means that although his glasses are outside the umbrella, his head could actually be inside, as Lear described. I had believed the handle had been removed so that the umbrella sprouted from his neck, but I was wrong - he wasn't quite as surreal as I had remembered!

Well done, OUB - collect your point and take the stage!

Umbrageous_Lear.jpg Umbrageous_Tomfoolery.jpg
  8. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I've never even heard of this one.
  9. oneuglybunny

"We're puttin' on the nonsense / The funny stuff and nonsense / All those riddles, jokes and silly things: / It's all tomfoolery."
    Take a menagerie of weird characters, plunk them in front of a camera, and give them thirty seconds to do something funny. That's the premise behind the show: a litter of random skits with no continuity or canon to snarl them. As long as it was funny, it got the green light. :)

Hmm, we've had quite a few three-and-solved softball characters lately. For a change of pace, I'm going into the deeper reaches. Toonsters, start your search engines!

1) This recurring character appears in an animated series, typically as 24-minute episodes.

2) This is the principal character of a mystery / detective series, modeled upon a public domain character. Despite no danger of copyright infringement, the studio made some huge modifications to this character and most supporting characters. Because it's cooler that way.

3) In the original work, this character had a civil rivalry with a police detective. In this animated series, the police detective lets the principal character do all the case-busting, then claims all the credit for solving the crime. Yes, a detective is just that vainglorious. o_O
  10. emeraldisle

Stumped again is all I can say. May someone else have better luck.
  11. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I see that I have a bit of searching to do.
  12. peterhale

I think this must be Sherlock Holmes, from Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century.

When a cloned Moriarty runs amok in 22nd Century London, Inspector Beth Lestrade has Sherlock Holmes cellularly rejuvenated. (Beth is a Holmes enthusiast, who has named her compudroid assistant 'Watson'.) The series, which I have to admit I had never heard of, despite its being co-produced by Scottish Television and shown in the UK on CITV (ITV's children's channel) in 1999, is mix of 2D animation (done in Japan) and 3D CGI cityscapes and vehicles.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. oneuglybunny

Hmm, now this is a series I hadn't known about. I'll have to peek at it to see if it matches all the clues. Technically, I had a significantly different character in mind, but as a matter of policy, any answer that meets the criteria of the clues given counts as a correct answer. If there's one tripping point, it would be the character based upon Inspector Lestrad: if he's an obnoxious, pretentious, ostentatious peacock, then all clues match, and I'll award the distinguished PeterHale a rightful +1. However, if the pseudo-Lestrad is a serious but less observant / less deductive law enforcer, then ... sorry, no, not quite.

Update: Not quite the Inspector Lestrad derivative I had in mind, but mea culpa for not specifying that "Lestrad" is the vainglorious one, rather than the reanimated Sherlock Holmes. Therefore, PeterHale gets the +1 and control of the board. I'll note him about which 'toon I had in mind, just for comparison's sake.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  14. peterhale

No, no - let the character stand! The third clue does definitely imply that the vainglorious detective is the police detective.
    (I haven't read your note yet, OUB, but obviously I will, so I'll not be having any more guesses on this character.)
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. oneuglybunny

Well, that's very noble and gracious, sir. I'll have to accredit that in this (hopefully) last set of clues.

4) As PeterHale deduced, this character is a Sherlock Holmes type, but only in observation, analysis and deduction. One major difference: this character is a girl. Surprise! She gets her "Watson" to accompany her, a character much younger than Doyle's Watson, and not yet a doctor of any kind. Further, the character substitute for Inspector Lestrad is this character's half-brother, a real Agent Peacock, made a detective only because Daddy is rich and powerful.

5) This is what's called an anime series here in the United States, and it's based upon a graphic novel adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works. Technically, it's also called anime in Japan, but they use the term for anything animated, including Disney productions and Jay Ward cartoons.

6) This character lived a very sheltered life, to the point that she had very little contact with people, and continues as a recluse at an academy. Whereas Sherlock Holmes was known to play the violin to relieve boredom, this character will roll around on the floor. Fortunately, the academy seems to have excellent janitors.
  16. emeraldisle

Further research is needed here. I'll have to check my trusty Internet anime guide.
  17. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is a complete guess... but maybe, Alice Myojingawa?
  18. oneuglybunny

Ah, from Futari wa Milky Holmes, partnered with Kazumi Tokiwa to form the detective partnership "Feathers." An interesting take on the detective franchise, certainly, but not the character I'm seeking. For one, there's no real Inspector Lestrad in Futari wa Milky Holmes. Nor is it Sherlock Shellingford from the sister series Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, a real Bunny-Ears Detective if ever there was one. This series was created by trading card company Bushiroad / the series I'm aiming for was created by Kazuki Sakuraba. ;)

Although, Saltyboot's conjecture about Sherlock Holmes as a moë / loli character is on target. :D
  19. emeraldisle

I checked everything by Bushiroad and Kazuki Sakuraba, and found no one to match the clues. So I give up now.
  20. oneuglybunny

Alas, I have failed again to give adequate clues. *sigh*

This character is Victorique de Blois from the anime series Gosick in English, derived from Goshikku in Japanese, which is a phonic approximation of "gothic." One English dub calls her Victorika, a workable approximation for the seiyuu. She's a tiny but serious girl, the illegitimate daughter of an aristocrat. She was kept hidden in the family castle until she was of middle school age, then sent to Sainte Marguerite's Academy in Sauville / Saubure, where she's forbidden to leave the property. Victorique spends her days in the library tower, reading several books at once, and on occasion, rolls around on the parquet floor out of boredom. A student from Japan acts as her liaison / Watson, while her legitimate half-brother Grevil visits her with his unsolved cases, which Victorique usually solves on the spot; during Grevil's first appearance, she does exactly this, deducing how a reclusive old woman died of a gunshot wound in a locked room.

Episodes are posted online at Watch Gosick Episode 1 Online | English Dubbed-Subbed Episodes, which is a see-before-you-buy site.

I hang my head in shame, and pass control of the board to PeterHale, who came closest to deducing the Mystery Character.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.