1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Well, well. I found it! It's Private Smiley, from "War Dogs."
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That's it, It's Private Smiley! Most of the clues are self-explanatory but I wanted to expand on a few.

The unit is called "The WOOFs."
    Dogs really were used in the war.
    He literally ends up in the dog house at the end. Complete with bars.
  3. emeraldisle

Thanks, Salty. I'm fresh out of characters and clues for now, so I'll pass my turn to anyone who wants it.
  4. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

I believe I have one.

1. I'm the star of a series of shorts

2. My series is extremely easy to export to other countries

3. I have a very unique way of traveling
  5. emeraldisle

I have no idea. Someone else should definitely get it.
  6. saltyboot

Hmm, I don't know either.

7. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

No one character stands out in my mind. Starring character is a huge help; I had been thinking of the Do-Do from Porky In Wackyland, but that Do-Do isn't the star. Porky is.

So I'm seeking a starring character, the first and foremost of those on screen. This character is likely mute, or nearly so, such as the Pink Panther or Tom and Jerry. That would minimize the amount of translation necessary to adapt the work to foreign markets. As to "unique way of traveling," I can only conjecture either a peculiar vehicle something like Professor Pat Pending's Convert-A-Car. Or possibly a personal aircraft, such as Lord Maze's glider. I can't even rule out magic / teleporting, such as a heroic bunny that pulls a top hat out of hammerspace, hops into it, the hat disappears a moment later, then reappears elsewhere, whence the rabbit hops out. This lets the rabbit go from Tuscon to Toulon in seconds.

But alas, I cannot put my finger on this Mystery Character yet. :(
  8. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I will hazard a guess - is it Pingu?
  9. FluidGirl

Nope, not Pingu. Here are some more.

4. My series started out in the late 1970's, but American audiences didn't see me until the 1980's on the first channel for kids

5. I'm a whirly-bird, but I'm not a bird

6. I live out of a suitcase, literally
  10. emeraldisle

Can't find any characters from Nickelodeon shows that match the clues.
  11. FluidGirl

Okay, I've got three more clues, and then I'll do the big reveal if nobody gets it after this.

7. My series was part of a show that mixed live action with animation

8. Like many other shorts of this series, I'm not originally from the US

9. I'd be able to supply the board for a game of chess, perhaps.
  12. emeraldisle

Sorry, but I still can't think of any helicopters that can do all that.
  13. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

No, not a helicopter per se, merely using the overheard propeller mechanism to achieve flight. Think Muttley from the Vulture Squadron, or Bugs Bunny using his ears as prop blades. That sort of thing. Which covers the "unusual means of travel" clue as well. And the only character I know that lives out of a suitcase was Felix the Cat, using his Bag of Tricks. But there was no live action with Felix. This almost sounds like something from PBS's The Electric Company, but that wasn't produced overseas ... at least, most of it wasn't. Dang, heckuva stumper ya got here, FluidGirl.
  14. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

The Little Prince has a unique way of travelling, but no suitcase... Moxy has check trousers, but doesn't fit anything else...

I too am stumped!
  15. FluidGirl

Okay, then, time for the big reveal. The character I had in mind was "A Kockásfülű nyúl," or "The Rabbit with the Checkered Ears," from Pannónia Filmstúdió.

[​IMG]

1. This rabbit was the star of a series of shorts of the same name

2. This Hungarian series is easy to export to other countries because it doesn't have any dialog at all. Only sound effects and music

3. The unique way the rabbit has of travelling? He flies. See Clue #5 for more details.

4. "A Kockásfülű nyúl" was created in Hungary in either 1974, 1976, or 1978 (depending on which source you look at, I haven't been able to find anything consistant as to the creation date of this little guy), but he didn't appear in America until the 1980's, on Nickelodeon's "Pinwheel."

5. The rabbit uses his ears like a helicopter propeller to fly

6. American audiences sometimes refer to this cartoon as "The Bunny in the Suitcase," since he comes out of a suitcase at the beginning of every episode, and returns to his suitcase at the end of every episode

7. In the US, this cartoon short appeared on Nickelodeon's "Pinwheel," which featured live action segments, along with animated shorts

8. Most of Nick's programming in the 80's was from Canada, or overseas, and "The Rabbit with the Checkered Ears" was no exception, since it came from Hungary

9. At the end of one episode, the rabbit moved a chess piece along his checkered ear.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. emeraldisle

Oh, wow! Didn't know anything about this, since I never actually saw anything on "Pinwheel."
  17. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Same here, Pinwheel was a bit before my time--that bunny is adorable though.
  18. FluidGirl

Just so I'm clear on this, since I stumped everyone, do I get another turn, or have the rules changed in that regard?
  19. emeraldisle

Those rules didn't change at all. So you do get another turn.
  20. saltyboot

Oh, man! I saw that bunny during my research, but I couldn't confirm some of the clues. I saw a short clip of it (no flying) and it was vaguely familiar, since I used to watch Pinwheel. Ah, I blew it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.