1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

That could be any character at all. Can't even begin to figure it out.
  2. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Going out on a limb, since I've never actually seen the cartoon, but is it Einstein the dog from the "Back to the Future" series?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That's right! It is indeed Einstein from the Back to the Future animated series.
  4. FluidGirl

Just a lucky guess, I guess. Anyway, onto the next character.

1. I am my franchise's main antagonist

2. I like to do a short "song-and-dance" bit whenever I mention my full name

3. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a certain thing my franchise's main character does
  5. emeraldisle

Again, I just don't have it. I'll really need to look it up.
  6. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Okay, I'm overdue for another brick. "It's sister Jenny's turn to lob the bomb / The last one, it was lobbed by brother John, brother John."

Could this be Oogie Boogie, the boogeyman from Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas?
  7. FluidGirl

Nope, not Oogie Boogie. Here's the next set of clues.

4. My name is a perfect example of alliteration

5. Despite my profession, I'm quite skinny

6. I have a partner who is quite "sour"
  8. emeraldisle

Aha! Just found it! It's the Peculiar Purple Pieman from "Strawberry Shortcake."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. FluidGirl

Correct, Em. Definitely the Peculiar Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak (if you want to go for the full name)

1. The Pieman is the villian in the SSC franchise

2. The Pieman has a little dance routine he does whenever he says the full name, The Peculiar Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak ("yah-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta, ta-ta-ta-tah! Cha!") (it's better if you see it in the cartoon, trust me)

3. The one thing the pieman can't stand is Strawberry Shortcake's "berry talk"

4. Self-explanitory

5. The pieman is extremely skinny

6. They gave the pieman a partner in SSC's third special, and her name was Sour Grapes

You're up, Em.
  10. emeraldisle

Thanks, Fluidgirl. Now here's another I've wanted to post for quite some time:

1. I have an angelic name.

2. My home's in the local church.

3. Combine my name with that of the rodent I meet and befriend, and you get a guy who sings about shocking monkeys and sledgehammers.
  11. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

The Peter Gabriel clue was a give-away - it's Gabriel Churchkitten, from the 1944 Noveltoon of the same name!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. emeraldisle

Good job, Pete. Once again, all clues are self-explanatory. So stop right up, and take your turn. :)
  13. peterhale

1) I appeared in 2 shorts before disappearing into obscurity.

2) Since it was not mentioned in the cartoons, even the proper form of my name is debatable.

3) I start off fishing, which is appropriate, and end up smithying.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. emeraldisle

I haven't a clue about this one. Someone else may have seen this guy.
  15. peterhale

Please note that I have slightly amended the wording of clues 2 & 3.
  16. emeraldisle

Even those amended clues don't help much. I just can't find a perfect match.
  17. peterhale

Then try these further three...

4) While nothing to do with the storyline, both films build gags around a notable feature of my species.
    5) In my first film I have a goofy voice, and the plot plays out like a Warner Brothers' cartoon - which it isn't.
    6) In the second film my voice not so deep, and I act a bit like Donald Duck - but it isn't a Disney cartoon.
  18. emeraldisle

Still can't find any that match the clues. I'm stumped but good.
  19. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I've actually got it. The character's name is Pete/Peter/Petey Pelican. I have heard of the short "The Tangled Angler" (although I have never seen it) which was directed by Frank Tashlin--however, I never knew this pelican was in a second short.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. peterhale

You have indeed!

The second of the Columbia Screen Gems films was "Under the Shedding Chestnut Tree, in which Pete/Peter/Petey (well put, Glowworm - various sources give these variable versions of his name!) is a blacksmith trying to shoe a horse which kicks him into a well every time a spiky chestnut drops on its rump. The film was directed by Bob Wickersham, one of several Disney staffers Tashlin hired for Columbia Screen Gems from the Disney picket line. By this time Tashlin had given up the time-consuming job of directing in order to properly oversee the running of the Screen Gems studio, but he would have had considerable input at the storyboard stage.

Casting Pete (or whatever) as an angler is appropriate - pelicans fish. "A wonderful bird is the pelican; his beak can hold more than his belican" as Dixon Lanier Merritt put it, and Tashlin makes great play of it: in The Tangled Angler Pete whistles with the air in his pouch - as it runs out his whistling falters and he has to refill; the smart-alec fish variously uses it as a pedal bin, a bath and a gondola. In Under the Shedding Chestnut Tree the frogs in the well treat it as an air-raid shelter and a street-car.

Pinto Colvig voices Pete in the first film with his "Goofy" voice. But in Under the Shedding Chestnut Tree Pete is given a higher pitch, more suitable to a bird, perhaps.

Tashlin had worked at both Schlesinger's and Disney's, of course.

Well done, Glowworm - over to you!
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.