1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I'm stuck on this one too.

2. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

OK, I'm out of clues, so if nobody gets it by tomorrow morning (and by tomorrow morning, I mean whatever time I get up and have a chance to get here to the forum), I'll reveal.
  3. FluidGirl

Seems we have another stumper on our hands. I admit, I chose this character with that intention, and I apologize for it. Anyway, the character I had in mind is Twinkles the cat from "My Little Pony: Rescue at Midnight Castle." Here's the explination of the clues:

1. Twinkles was only seen in the 1984 animated special, "My Little Pony" (it was relater named "Rescue at Midnight Castle" when it was shown as an episode of the 1986 series, "My Little Pony 'n Friends")

2. Twinkles doesn't even so much as meow in this special

3. OUB was on the right track with the America song, "Horse with No Name." However, I meant this in a more literal sense. Twinkles is seen riding on the back of a little pony who wasn't given a name. Fans refer to her as "The Mystery Pony."

4. As everything in the My Little Pony universe, Twinkles began her life as a toy

5. Twinkles was an accessory with the MLP 1983 playset, The Pretty Parlor. The pony that was released with this playset was named Peachy, but she never made the cartoon

6. I'm including a montage of screenshots I took from the special where Twinkles can be seen. You will note that I have circled Twinkles, and have arrows pointing to her. You'll see what I mean when I say she isn't easily noticed. I also included the last scene in this montage:

[​IMG]

Again, I apologize for intentionally choosing a stumper. I was letting my frustrations get the better of me. I need to think of another character before I give the clues for my next one (if I haven't disqualified myself for intentionally trying to stump everybody).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

No one is going to be disqualified for choosing a completely animated and named character. Not on my watch. A hearty pat on the back from me for zeroing in on a character from a long-running franchise, and one that is actually called by name; there are some characters on the Used Character List known only as "the squirrel" or "the bunnies." No need to apologize for playing the game so very well, FluidGirl. It simply means that I must do more cartoon-watching in my life. :D Congrats on stumping "the experts." You may pose another Mystery Character, or pass your control of the board to another participant. :)
  5. FluidGirl

Thanks, OUB, I was having somewhat of a bad weekend. As far as Twinkles goes, she's not even acknowledged in the cartoon, either, and not called by name. I think we only know her name because she was named in the playset she came with. I think I'll give you guys yet another hard one, but still slightly easier than Twinkles at the same time (I hope):

1. I'm one of my franchise's cute little pets

2. You can't say I'm "hopping" mad!

3. My owner shares her first name with something that is synonomous with being sour, but really, she (like everyone else in my franchise) is awfully sweet.
  6. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I got this one. Frappe the frog--Lemon Meringue of Strawberry Shortcake's pet.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. FluidGirl

Correct, Glowworm! It is Frappe Frog, from "Strawberry Shortcake." I have this thing for the SSC pets. They're so cute. Anyway, your turn.
  8. Glowworm

Yeah, had a feeling it was a Strawberry Shortcake pet--the last clue helped me figure out the owner was someone with a lemony name.

I'm going to try something a bit different for this one. Bear with me.
    1. The short I'm in, I narrate. About a visit and a pet dog's fate.
    2. Not to sound the least bit haughty, but I must admit, I've been quite naughty.
    3. In a locked bathroom, I give a shave to a dog who's not quite brave.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  9. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I can't think of anyone who'd shave a cowardly dog in a locked bathroom. This'll take research.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. FluidGirl

Obviously, the short's in rhyme, but I can't quite get it, not at this time . . . . .
  11. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Creepy!

This is Muriel's nephew Fred, the freaky barber, from Courage the Cowardly Dog. He speaks in verse, like the clues!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Glowworm

Exactly, Peter. It's Fred from the episode "Freaky Fred" of Courage the Cowardly Dog. I couldn't help but chuckle at Emeraldisle's remark because she was so close without even realizing it.
    The extra clue here is indeed that Fred speaks in verse throughout the short--but only when he's narrating. He actually does speak normally on his visit to their home.
    1. Fred has come over to Nowhere to visit his Aunt Muriel, and Courage gets shaved.
    2. Fred ends a lot of his verses with the word "naughty."
    3. Fred is being lead by Courage to the bathroom to freshen up, but the door has the habit of not opening once it's closed --so Eustace purposely throws Courage inside the room with Fred and slams the door shut. Fred is a barber by trade and is obsessed with shaving hair to the point of no return, so he can't resist shaving Courage.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. peterhale

OK - I promise this one is not obscure!

1) Merciful Heavens! I may have got things wrong, but I am certainly not a villain!
    2) What was I to think, after she attacked my little angels?
    3) And anyway, I sent them a Christmas present, by way of apology.
  14. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Man, I think I'll need more than one thinking cap for this one.
  15. oneuglybunny

This must be Aunt Sarah from Disney's Lady And The Tramp, who came to housesit while the Darlings were away. The "angels" are her two devilish Siamese cats, Si and Am. Aunt Sarah is the one who purchases the dog muzzle and affixes it upon poor Lady, thinking Lady is the destructive animal in the house. Aunt Sarah believes herself to be faultless and infallible, but she's definitely not villain material.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. peterhale

Absolutely right, OUB, it is Aunt Sarah!

I hesitated over the use of the word "villain" in clue 1, thinking that perhaps changing it to "villainess" would be more helpful. But I was trying to speak in Aunt Sarah's voice, and when she was growing up (at the end of the 19th century) "villainess" was not in common use. It grew rapidly in use between 1910 and 1920 - perhaps linked to the growth of motion pictures (I imagine it would be a useful word for the writers of title cards) - but I thought that she would have considered it a foolish, young people's word, and so stuck to the traditional "villain".

The last clue refers to the final sequence of Lady and the Tramp. When Jock and Trusty come visiting, Jim Dear offers them refreshment, calling out to Darling, "Where did you put the dog biscuits? You know, the box Aunt Sarah sent for Christmas!"

Well sniffed out ("As muh Gran'pappy, Ol' Reliable, used to say")! Help yourself to a point, and pull up a new character!
  17. FluidGirl

*smacks self in forehead* Rats! I should've gotten this one! "Lady and the Tramp" is my sister's favorite Disney animated movie.
  18. Glowworm

Villainess or not--I still think that woman is a b*tch.
  19. oneuglybunny

Magnificent clues, sir: they conveyed the stilted, haughty, self-righteous character straightaway. "Villainess" would have been superfluous.

Don't fret too much on this one, FG. Aunt Sarah is a minor character in the work, secondary even to her cats. She's not much of a radar-blip.

And Glowworm, though you don't like Aunt Sarah, she has a necessary function in the story. If Lady didn't have difficulties and obstacles to overcome, then she's not really a sympathetic character, and her story would be so much less engaging. I should do a thread on non-villain impediment characters some time...

Let's see, good PeterHale has only 99 correct answers so far, so my "secret weapon" character will have to stay in the box a while longer. So, pardon me for tapping into a non-virgin vein.

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film. Well, mostly animated feature film; there's some real people ambling about, bookending the story.

2) Many of the characters in the film have known celebrities supplying their voices. Not this character, though; his voice comes from a recognized stalwart among voice actors, with a filmography that reads like a Who's Who of cartoondom.

3) Many villains don't survive their story. Some that do end up scarred or bankrupt. Not this one: at the end, he's alive and intact ... but left a Jonah, a pariah with no cred.
  20. FluidGirl

The only thing I can think of is Horror from "The Pagemaster." It kind of fits clues 1 and 2 ("The Pagemaster" is both live action and animated, and Frank Welker, a known voice-actor, voiced this character), but I'm not so sure about clue 3. Then again, I haven't seen the whole movie, so I really don't know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.