1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I was thinking more along the lines of Long John Silver from the Pagemaster--he's voiced by Jim Cummings. Also, I guess the reason I don't like Aunt Sarah is because, I am an animal lover, and the things she does to that poor dog are downright rotten.
  2. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Apparently the "Aunt Sarah" character was originally going to be the stereotypical overbearing mother-in-law, with an antipathy to Jim Dear. In getting away from that cliché they actually softened the character, making her less abrasive! She just doesn't trust dogs - she thinks she is doing the best thing for the baby, after all. She only appears cruel because we know Lady is innocent, and feel her hurt. She certainly isn't Lady Tremaine!
  3. Glowworm

To be frank, I don't think I've ever seen the entire movie--but I had a book with the story in it--and listened to one of those books that came with a cassette tape where you turned the page after the tone. Ironically enough, Aunt Sarah does look a bit like Lady Tremaine though. ;)
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Ooh, FluidGirl came close with Horror from The Pagemaster, voiced by the legendary Frank Welker. I don't think we've invented enough vowels to cover what Frank Welker can do. The thing is, Horror is actually one of the good guys, misunderstood perhaps but definitely not antagonistic.

Also from The Pagemaster, which does indeed blend live action with animation, Glowworm tries the pirate Long John Silver, a genuine pirate and an antagonist in the story. Even closer, but still not quite, since Silver is a pirate through-and-through, and has no real cred to lose, unless he somehow decides to go straight. Nevertheless, these are some splendid posits, and I bow in respect to your astute thinking. Time to finish off this Scrappy.

4) The story in which this character appears is based on actual history, though with plenty of Hollywood's artistic license in the telling. Most egregious would be this character himself, who actually works to sabotage the hero and his teammates; there was no such saboteur in Real Life.

5) One of this character's first scenes shows him scheming and cheating to get ahead, proving himself to be one dirty dog competitor.

6) And the voice actor has been identified: it's Jim Cummings, sounding rather comfortable as a large, sinister ham.
  5. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Steele from "Balto" then? Especially with the words "dirty dog" in clue 5.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. oneuglybunny

Splendid, FluidGirl, this is very much Steele from the Amblimation production Balto. The story is based around the Iditarod sled dog run, which started as a relay from Willow, Alaska near Anchorage to Nome, Alaska on the western shore, done to ferry medicine to a stricken town. The film opens with a grandmother and granddaughter ambling through Central Park, segues to the aninated story, then returns to Central Park for the closing tribute. Steele is obviously a self-centered glory hound, and he is completely discredited at the end. Of course, the actual medicine run went much differently, but Hollywood insists on "editing" history.

So, take another +1, FG, and launch your next Mystery Character. :)
  7. FluidGirl

I'm thinking this one won't take more than three clues. At least I hope. I don't know if I could compile more.

1. I'm a princess, but you'd never know it because of my actual title

2. I have several cute little animal friends, who double as hair accessories

3. I'm a blonde heroine, and my rival is an evil brunette.
  8. oneuglybunny

Another toy franchise that spawned some cartoons that acted as commercials: Lady Lovely Locks, a classic Hollywood blonde whose best friend is a redhead, and whose principal antagonist is Lady Raven Waves, a brunette. Oh my, aren't there so very many Unfortunate Implications in that one.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. FluidGirl

Correct, OUB, indeed it is Lady Lovely Locks. But the antagonist is actually named *Duchess* Ravenwaves. There was another brunette in the cartoon as well, who was LLL's other best friend, but that's beside the point. What can I say about some of my character choices? I'm a girl who grew up in the 80's.
  10. oneuglybunny

An Eighties girl, good for you. Me, I'm stuck being a derelict old grunk from the Sixties. Oh, well, time to dig in the archives again...

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film. He survives, intact, and surprisingly keeps his job.

2) By profession, this character should be a "good guy," but he's not; he's a bad guy. Not quite candy-from-a-baby bad, but awfully close.

3) The principal antagonist of this completely animated film is this character's superior. In fact, yet another character is closer to the Big Bad Boss than this character, making our Mystery Character number 3 in the wicked pecking order. No wonder he gets the dirty jobs...
  11. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

The term "pecking order" indicates a bird, but I can't put my finger on it.
  12. FluidGirl

I have no idea who this character is. And I wouldn't call you an old grunk, OUB. It just means you've known more characters in your lifetime than I have, that's all. I was just explaining why I happen to choose a lot of "30 minute commercial" characters that are a bit on the girly side (I also only have one sibling, who is female, and neither of us were much into Transformers and stuff like that, but I digress).
  13. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I'll be waiting for the next set of clues.
  14. Glowworm

As will I, as these are still a bit vague.
  15. oneuglybunny

No, no, this isn't a stumper-class character. I'm keeping that one in reserve. So let's ice this puppy...

4) Walt Disney Pictures produced this feature film, which is entirely animated. The character, however, is in the Public Domain, and has been for many, many years. Though, in his Disney form, he's very different from his old self.

5) This character is a law enforcement officer, among the most senior lawmen, and surely the highest ranking without going into the bluebloods.

6) This character gets sent to prison ... but as a guard, not as an inmate.
  16. Glowworm

No, nothing is clicking here--I'll probably be banging my head against a wall later on.
  17. FluidGirl

The Sherriff of Nottingham from "Robin Hood," maybe? That's the only one that's coming to my mind right now.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. oneuglybunny

Much more than maybe, FluidGirl. This is indubitably the Sheriff of Nottingham from Disney's Robin Hood. Despite all the swords and arrows and flames, nobody died. As sheriff, he's supposed to be decent and honorable, but taxing Skippy's birthday present is pure villainy. The sheriff seems to be the #3 antagonist in the story; Sir Hiss is the right-hand snake to the supreme baddie, Prince John. From way back in the crusade days, everyone in the Robin Hood mythos is in the Public Domain at this point, though Disney making him an anthro'ic wolf is a new twist. At the end, the sheriff is sent to the prison to oversee Prince John and Sir Hiss on the rock pile. I have no idea how he kept his job despite the complete management turnover. Or maybe I do: would you trust Nutsy as your sheriff?

Well, good on you, FG. That'll add another +1 to the scoreboard. And you get to play with the toys some more. ;)
  19. FluidGirl

Well, for this next one, I think it's time I put my toys away, and do something different. But it's an easy one. Don't think it'll take more than three clues.

1. I'm king of the jungle, though I'm a klutz

2. I can never remember my wife's name

3. 30 years after my show premiered, I was turned into a live action movie
  20. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Ah, a no-brainer, since I posted clues about his lady a few pages back. It's George Of The Jungle. :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.