1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Unsung Cartoon Hero Of The Day.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by emeraldisle, Sep 22, 2018.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Today's unsung hero of the day is G'Nort, from "Batman: The Brave And The Bold."

This canine member of the Green Lantern Corps wasn't the brightest, but he did save the day when most of the Green Lanterns were captured. Still, it was hilarious when he had trouble reciting the Green Lantern oath. Luckily, he had the right words written down on a cheat sheet.
  2. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Gopher, from Disney's Winnie The Pooh cartoons.

It was he who warned Winnie about Windsday, but the bear foolishly didn't heed the warning, and thought it was a holiday. Eventually, he was dropped from the franchise, but should have been in more cartoons.
  3. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero is Poindexter, from the TV Felix The Cat cartoons.

Despite being the Professor's nephew, this little boy with a graduation cap and horn-rimmed glasses is hands down Felix's staunchest ally. He was perfectly willing to join forces with a black cat, and wasn't superstitious. He took his feline friend on adventures in space, and even visited a haunted house with him. So a tip of the graduation cap to this young genius.
  4. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Keyop, from "Battle Of The Planets."

He was not only the youngest team player, but the only one to not be a true orphan-he was a test tube baby. Plus, he had a speech impediment. None of this kept him from coming through for his team mates and others, however. So I regard him as heroic.
  5. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Spinner, from "The Biskitts."

He was the oldest and wisest of these dogs. It was he who knew about everything in the kingdom, and led the other Biskitts to rescue Wags and Sweets when they were captured by the Witch Of Nidor on Halloween night. He also told Bump to smash the witch's magic mirror, as it was the true source of her powers. So let's honor this fearless canine.
  6. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Wendy, the good little witch.

She was Casper's closest human friend. She appeared in just one theatrical short along with Spooky and her BFF Witch Hazel, but played an even bigger role in "The New Casper Cartoon Show." Unlike the aforementioned short, she actually used her magic in this series to help others. She was also at odds with her own Aunties, who insisted on using their powers for evil. So I sing this girl's praises.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Wonder Girl.

This female member of The Teen Titans was first animated in 1967. But her cartoon appearances are few and far between. Personally, I think she deserved to be seen in at least one episode of "Superfriends."
  8. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Broken Feather, one of two Native American adults from "The Funny Company."

Along with Super Chief, he joined the kids and Terry Dactyl in their adventures, but was mostly overlooked. And yes, I picked him in honor of Native American Heritage Month.
  9. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Calico "Callie" Briggs, from "Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron."

This deputy mayor was the one who alerted T-Bone and Razor whenever there was trouble in town. She also revealed she was the one who denied the Metallikats their parole. So she's more than just another damsel in distress, just like Jezebel Jade and April O'Neill.
  10. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Dr. Ben Cooper, from "Jana Of The Jungle."

An American veterinarian based in the Amazon rain forest, this guy was able to treat sick and injured animals. He was also the one to lend a helping hand whenever Jana and Montaro were in trouble. Even in his own focus episode, "Suspicion," he kept trying to prove himself a good guy. So I rate him high on the hero scale.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Ape, from "George Of The Jungle."

This talking simian often rescued his human friend. So he's definitely the true hero of the series.
  12. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Permit me to propose one: the Archdeacon of Notre Dame, who cried, "Stop!" right at that crucial moment when infant Quasimodo's fate hung perilously close to doom. No archdeacon, no more hunchback, no one left to thwart Judge Frollo's genocide. Paris would be looking mighty grim without the archdeacon's intervention.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

The Archdeacon was a badass--even trying to protect Esmeralda as well. I wonder what would have happened had he actually decided to raise Quasimodo instead of forcing Frollo to...
    Also, as a kid, whenever it got to that part where Clopin was singing the story to the children, I used to think he actually entered the story by transforming into the Archdeacon--as the moment he cries out "Stop!" with his hand outstretched, his image is replaced by that of the Archdeacon. Not entirely as silly as one would think--I was only 7 when I saw this movie.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Not silly at all. That's a very old scene transition trick: end one scene with a character in a certain pose, then snap to another character elsewhere in that same pose to begin the segue. This is one of those filmmaker's devices that's taught in film school.
  15. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Jerry Sayles, from "Super President."

He was the only one who knew his President was a superhero. Although he was often targeted by the villains, he was 100% loyal to his boss. Who cares if the series' premise was a bad idea?
  16. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon heroes are the Scat Cats from "The Aristocats."

These close friends of Thomas O'Malley may be stereotypes, but they were cool enough for Dutchess and the kittens to hang out with. They also took part in the rescue, so they're the cat's meow.
  17. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Sgt Squealy, from "Laverne And Shirley In The Army."

This commanding pig was just as strict as a human drill sergeant. But he was always an active participant in the adventures, which is more than I can say about the human Sgt. Turnbuckle. And not once did the "soldierettes" say, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." So I regard him as a true military hero.
  18. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero is Shorty, a close friend of Popeye.

This little guy was only in a handful of shorts, and was clearly a fellow sailor and war veteran to boot. He truly deserved a lot more screen time. It would have been interesting to see him, Popeye, and Bluto all in the same cartoon.
  19. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Leona, Kimba The White Lion's older sister.

She was fully committed to her duty of guarding the shrine, which consisted of the hides of their father Caesar, and all their grandsires. So much so that when Kimba accidentally lost the hides, she went ballistic on him. Eventually, the hides were recovered, and she returned to her task.
  20. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon heroes of the day are Grandpa Rocky Flintstone and Reggie Vanderock, AKA Rocky's Raiders.

These courageous pilots were assigned to rescue Mata Harock, which they successfully pulled off. But not without being chased by the enemy. This chase lasts way beyond Stone World War 1! So I salute them on this Veterans Day.