1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Unsung Cartoon Hero Of The Day.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by emeraldisle, Sep 22, 2018.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Martin O'Halloran, from "Jem And The Holograms."

This Vietnam War veteran was only seen in the series' finale, "A Father Should Be...." He was revealed to be Ba Nee's biological father, and went with Jem to rescue Ba Nee from a kidnapper. In the end, he and Ba Nee left the Starlight Foundation to begin a new life, following a sendoff during which all three rival bands called a truce. So hats off to this great man.
  2. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Lady Dorma, the eventual wife of The Submariner.

She was first animated for the Submariner segments of "The Marvel Superheroes." A year later, she played a significant role in the Fantastic Four episode "Danger In The Depths." She was also animated in the 90's, despite being killed off in the comics. So she remains one of the MCU"s best known heroines.
  3. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero is George Soaring Eagle, from "Davey And Goliath."

This Native American boy was prominently featured in the series finale, "Come, Come To The Fair." He, Davey, and several other kids of diverse ancestry, presented a sort of Show And Tell that featured items from their ancestral lands. Later, in the seasonal special, "To The Rescue," he, Davey, Goliath, Nicky, Rosa, Betsy, Priscilla, Pastor Jack, and Miss Lindsay set out to rescue a father and daughter whose plane had crashed near their campsite. So while he wasn't seen as often as other characters in the series, he still played significant roles that his tribal ancestors would be proud of.
  4. emeraldisle

Toady's unsung cartoon hero of the day is The Chief, from "The Galaxy Trio."

For the most part, he gave the trio their assignments. However, he played a much bigger role in "The Duplitrons," when both he and Meteor Man were captured by Specter, and replaced by robot duplicates. So he deserves recognition.
  5. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is the turkey from "Pilgrim Popeye."

In a flasback sequence, this turkey from Popeye's days as a pilgrim saves the sailor man from hostile Native Americans after eating spinach! Popeye's tale may not have been true, but it did convince his nephews to spare the life of the turkey they were ready to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. Mind you, I have nothing against a traditional Thanksgiving feast.
  6. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is William Mouse, from "The Mouse On The Mayflower."

It was this little rodent who rode over with the Pilgrims, and offered help when needed. He even signed the Mayflower Compact. At least according to the special.
  7. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is White Feather, from the Jonny Quest episode "Werewolf Of The Timberland."

This Native American had a pet wolf who fiercely attacked Pierre. He also rescued the boys when the bad guys caught them. Oddly, he kept appearing and disappearing, implying that he was possibly a ghost.
  8. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is the rabbit, from "The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't."

He was the only animal other than Jeremy Squirrel and his descendants who was able to talk. It was he who rallied the animals to save Johnny Cooke and Little Bear from the wolf. When that didn't work, he sent a sparrow to get Jeremy, who had found the Pilgrims and Native Amercians. So this bunny was more than a little helpful.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Little Feather, from the Casper short "Boos And Arrows."

When he saw his little brother had been carried off by a vulture, he tried to save him before Casper did. So he did show concern for his family.
  10. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero is Blip, the little monkey from Space Ghost.

He was amazingly smart, and often found ways to defeat the villains, or save Space Ghost, Jan, and Jace from a terrible fate. So he definitely was one of the more resourceful animal sidekicks. As Jan said in one episode, "Blip, I salute you."
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Chief Broadbeak, from "Free Birds."

This native turkey gave up his own life to save the other turkeys from the Pilgrims. This made it possible for his daughter Jenny to take over. So he deserves just as much credit as Reggie.
  12. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Blackie The Lamb, from Noveltoons.

This lamb didn't have the staying power of other Famous Studios characters, but he was always triumphant over the wolf. So I'll cut him some slack.
  13. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Thun The Lion Man from the animated Flash Gordon series.

He was completely loyal to Flash, Dale, and Zarkov, and a true enemy of Ming. So I give him a high rating.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Neptina, the little mermaid from "Marine Boy."

She used a pearl like a crystal ball, and in one episode, warned Marine Boy about a power plant, that was literally electrified kelp. So she was always there to lend a helping hand.
  15. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero is Mr. Socrates, from "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kids."

This highly sophisticated computer was the one who sent the team on their missions. He also kept in touch with them via Butch's ring. His only weakness was an allergy to dogs, the running gag of each episode.
  16. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Nugget, from "Goldie Gold And Action Jack."

This dog came through for the title characters on many occasions. So I honor him as the best in animated show.
  17. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero is Kaboobie the flying camel, from "Shazzan."

Not only was he a reliable means of transportation, but there were times when he rescued Chuck and Nancy when Shazzan was unavailable. Help like that is rare. So Kaboobie passes with flying colors, no pun intended.
  18. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Olaf.

This adorable little snowman seemed goofy at first. but came close to sacrificing himself. In the end, he was rewarded with his own snowcloud to prevent him from ever melting. So warm hugs for this guy.
  19. emeraldisle

Today's unsung hero of the day is Nestor's mother, from "Nestor, The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey."

Despite always saying, "Ears, Nestor," she truly cared for her offspring, going after him after he was kicked out of the stable. When she found him, she sheltered him from the cold, which, unfortunately, cost her her life. Talk about maternal instincts! For that sacrifice, she rates a ten on the hero scale.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. emeraldisle

Today's unsung cartoon hero of the day is Waddles/Topper the penguin, from "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town."

He became Kris Kringle's faithful sidekick, and came up with the idea of Kris going down the chimney. Pretty smart for a bird who got lost seeking the South Pole.